Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"Ye also ought to wash one another's feet"

As part of my determination to familiarize my children more with the stories of Jesus, (http://4peanutsandacashew.blogspot.com/2012/07/tell-me-stories-of-jesus.html) we recently had a lesson about Jesus washing His disciple's feet before His death and the gravity of what that meant for us.

John 13:14-17

14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet.

15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

And then using Robert's amazing idea of an activity to do after our lesson, together we washed and massaged each of our children's hands.  It was such a sweet moment because I think the lesson of Jesus' selfless life was driven home, not because we were doing anything vast for them by massaging their hands, but in doing this object lesson, I think they could picture Jesus' selfish act in their mind a little better.  Afterwards, the kids did each other's hands.  It was one of those moments in time you wish you could freeze indefinitely.  And what a poignant and beautiful story to hear again.





Brigham City temple open house





 

3 comments:

Alison Woods said...

What a great idea! I love it and will try it here!

DrFlynnDMD said...

That was one of my favorite family nights ever and I agree it was one of the lessons that will stick with them the rest of their lives.

Krissy Noel said...

What an awesome object lesson and great idea! I hope I can think of things like this to do when my kids are older. This is something they won't forget for sure.