Friday, August 10, 2012

Out Of My Box: My Life Beyond Zoloft

Of the almost 39 years that I have been alive, Zoloft (or something similar) has been a big part of it for about half of that.  It's never bothered me about being honest and open about taking it because it's part of my life story and it's part of a lot of people's life stories, whether they want to admit it or not.  Depression and anxiety have taken a pivotal part in my life, and I accept and even embrace the truth of that because it's part of my journey.  However, that's only a portion of my narrative.  About a year ago, it really started to bother me that most people I know that take it seem to assume that their brain chemistry "requires" chemical altering in order to maintain their lives, me included at the time.  How is it even statistically possible that with Utah's soaring rates of anti-depressive use, we all happen to be born with chemical imbalances?  When I first started taking it in college, I only meant for it to be a bridge to connect me with better coping skills, understanding my limits better, as well as stopping a downward spiral, which is what I truly believe most people take it for.  Somewhere in there, I just kept taking it because life was stressful and I assumed I couldn't handle it without the crutch of feeling somewhat numb to everything around me.  I recently concluded though that how was I ever going to know if I had emotionally grown and no longer had a need for this drug if I didn't wean myself off at some point?  It also became important to me come face to face with myself.  Who was I without it?  I wanted to feel again, and learn to deal with those sometimes deep crevices of emotion, both the happy and the horrific and not live my life only in the realm of closely varying degrees of middle or non-emotion.  Now don't get me wrong, this is my story and what I ultimately decided was right for me at this specific time and may not be right for everyone.  I put a lot of prayer and thought into it and combined with the fact that I have a very supportive husband, I decided that the time was appropriate for me to go off of it.  And guess what?  I survived.  And not only have I survived the past year, I have enjoyed the self esteem I have gained by handling each thing that comes into my life, not always with complete grace, but handling it none the less.  I have benefited from stretching and combining the abilities of my mind, body, and spirit into figuring out complex problems and situations.  I have accomplished this by accepting help from many differing sources:  Friends, Robert, counseling, lots and lots of self-help books, prayer, meditation, and using exercise as therapy.

What still concerns me about parts of my story is that it is far too common in the community I live in.  In fact, in my research I found that Utah ranks #1 in the nation for rates of depression (with women's rates being twice that of men's) and 7th in regard to suicide rates.  http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-11-28-depression-suicide-numbers_N.htm  You can't tell me that with Utah having a 70% Mormon population, religion does not have a heavy influence on our ranking.  I also found this article: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/story?id=4403731&page=2#.UCRlg6l16nQ  Dr. Curtis Canning, a Logan-based psychiatrist and former president of the Utah Psychiatric Association states in this article as it pertains to depression: "In Mormon culture females are supposed accept every calling. They are to be constantly smiling over their family of five. They are supposed to take supper across the street to an ill neighbor and then put up with their husband when he comes home from work and smile about it the whole time. There is this sense that Mrs. Jones down street is doing the same thing, and there is this undercurrent of competition. To be a good mother and wife, women have to put on this mask of perfection. They can't show their tears, depression or agony. . . Obedience, conformity and maintaining a sense of harmony are unspoken but widely recognized behaviors, which all contribute to what I call "the Mother of Zion syndrome."  I'm not even going to address the fact that Utah has soaring rates of painkiller abuse as well, but suffice it to say, I believe there are meaningful connections between this and our LDS culture as well.

I know this is true because I have felt the intense influence of my LDS community in my own life and there have been times that the strain of attempting to maintain my Mormon status-quo has been absolutely crushing.  It has led me to the conclusion that we do not understand our own religion because if we did, there wouldn't be such an epidemic of depressed Mormon women!  Right?  I don't believe a life of self-loathing and guilt leading to depression is what Heavenly Father intends for us.  It is always important in discussions like this to delineate between the Gospel and the Church and accompanying culture because they are two completely different things.  However, the demands of the two are often so closely intertwined that they are hard to separate and if one isn't hyper-vigilant in maintaining the boundaries of the two, it is easy to succumb to false notions of how one is supposed to be.  

I also think that there is a "one size fits all" mentality in my church that has been immensely ruinous to a lot of women.  For example, if you are a woman, you possess x,y, and z traits and your life course is, and should only be "A," AND please make sure you maintain your womanly role under male patriarchy and if you are really good, we will pat you on your precious heads, reminding you to "rejoice" in your roles as women every women's conference.  This is all fine and dandy until you realize, Hey!  I don't possess "x" or "y" trait and my life either didn't take life course "A", or like me, you believe there are many different life courses that can produce a wonderful life with happy, spiritual children with strong testimonies and you don't like being told you have one option or ELSE.  Not fitting into my Mormon culture is unequivocally one of the factors that led me in my formative years into anxiety and depression and was in actuality the first thing that led me to seek counseling.  You might also be like me and look around the room when things like the evils of working mothers or the malevolence of limiting family size to suit your needs or how all women are innately nurturing (which I am not) are being taught at church and see how blanket assumptions like these make women feel like spiritual casualties when they are perhaps divorced, infertile, single, a working mother, and don't fit the mold.  Or perhaps you are one who is completely comfortable with being taught continually about what your "role" is because you do indeed possess x, y, and z traits and your life course has in fact been "A", and to you I say:  Being comfortable is only a problem when it becomes a decision of who else should be comfortable besides yourself.  

Now what happens when you, throughout your life are required to squash, deny, and hide what I can only describe as what your essence is?  Is there a place in our church for strong, independent, thinking, questioning, feminist women in our church?  There should be a place for every woman, but I don't really hear voices like my own when I go to church, although I know they are probably hiding like me.  I feel like I live my life on "the down low" where within my own home,  I live an extremely fulfilled life supported by my amazing husband who has never "presided" over me or even wanted to, and I dutifully teach my children the gospel which I love, but it's not always the same gospel I hear other people preaching about on Sunday.  There are many of my friends that think like me, but we all know that we have to keep our mouths shut when we go to church, but I'm kind of tiring of that behavior and I may just have to start speaking up a little more.  I shutter when I think of the damage I have been a part of when I refuse to open my mouth to speak up for other women who don't fit the mold.  What can ensue from this diversion of expectation and reality is tremendous guilt, self-loathing, and a sense of continual failure when you can't for the life of you, fit into this shallow and cumbersome mold, which can lead to further denial of ones' true nature progressing finally to depression.  OR, one can choose to hear their own voice and finally free themselves from others' expectations and views of how they should be which is a much harder battle to win than conformity.

I found a poem that I love about a woman realizing her power and what she is capable of:

Power
by:  Carol Lynn Pearson

When she learned that she
Didn't have to plug into
Someone or something
Like a toaster into a wall

When she learned that she
Was a windmill and had only
To raise her arms
To catch the universal whisper
And turn
turn
turn
She moved.

Oh, she moved
And her dance was a marvel.

Carol Lynn Pearson, LDS author and poet, notes so profoundly that in our church, "We live in a Motherless house. In our worship we are Motherless. In our hymns, our prayers, our scriptures, our temples, our religious discourse, we are Motherless. In the symbols that connect our minds and our hearts with our origin, we are Motherless. The double picture frame on our mantle that has space for divine parents has only one picture in it—the face of a male."  Indeed.  Mothers are supposedly so vital and important, but do not under any circumstance talk about the Mother of your Spirit.  And when you read the scriptures, just remember that it will never say "her" or "she", but just assume it all applies to you too.

So please, try to convince me again how valued women are in our church and how our intrinsic value is not tied to soaring rates of depression and anxiety.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't know how much this post has helped me! Thank you for being brave enough to share your story.

Anonymous said...

Sandra, I love how much thought you put into things! And you're able to express those thoughts so well. Church is sometimes hard for me too. Sometimes I don't go for some of the same reasons you talked about. It's nice to know I'm not alone! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Love,

Michelle

Krissy Noel said...

I can't believe that my comment was apparently longer than 4,096 characters which is the limit to post on your blog! I am clearly opinionated on this subject too! Check your fb messages and I forwarded my response to you. I am in complete agreement. I am so grateful that I decided at age 20 that I was done with curbing my emotions, even if people thought I was a better version of myself on pills. I am much happier today knowing that I am not dependent upon an antidepressant to cope with my every day life. I wish the church would be less vague and come out with something specifically addressing the overuse of prescription pills as a means to self medicate. So many people turn to oxycontin and loratab to get through the day. At some point you have to learn to FEEL and figure out how to cope in a healthy way instead of dulling the throb of life issues.

And I'm with you on wishing more women would step down from trying to fit the mold. I'm tired of feeling like I am the only one who has ever felt "this way". It can be so lonely and make me question my spirituality when I feel like no one else has questioned or been concerned about things and everyone else seemingly accepts things whole heartedly through faith and blind obedience. I am not that way. I have to question and figure things out myself. I am not the status quo Mormon and wish more women would stand up and say so too. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this today mainly because I witnessed something this past Sunday that I was absolutely livid about. I came home from church fuming and my poor husband had to listen to me for hours. The YW and YM both attended their summer camps last week. Both had amazing experiences but different and very contradictory. I overheard a 14 year old YM telling the YW how the YM's camp was so much better than the YW's because all the YW did was read scriptures and pray while the YM did very little of that if any and waterskied all day everyday. They also has much better food because while the YW have to learn and cook their own food they had people who cooked for them and that's how it is supposed to be. It took all my will power to not turn to this YM and ask why it is a women's job to learn to cook, clean, nurture and pray while the men play. Shouldn't they be learning to do the same? Why do they get to go play all the time? Now don't get me wrong, not all men are like this. BUT this 14 year old boy is obviously being taught this.
Not only did I witness this but I was asked if I HAD to go back to work this school year by another woman. Why do people assume women have to work if they make that decision to do so?

Tiffany Strong

Anonymous said...

sandra, you are such a beautiful person, inside and out! i remember yo had very strong opinions when we were kids and it sounds like you are still the same spirited girl :) i loved reading this! you are too fabulous! we need to get together sometime sooner than later! it's been a long time, but it sounds like you are still the same fabulous best friend i had a loooong time ago! love you!

Nikki Whitfield

Anonymous said...

Very well written. I have to say that you are one of the few people who has always spoken up in MY defense at church time and time again, as I clearly do not fit the accepted mold. And I have felt and do feel like I am "less than" quite often because of it. I appreciate your friendship more than you know and cherish your opinions always. We have such great talks when we go to dinner, we definitely need to make that happen more often. I think you are amazing and beautiful and incredibly strong and I feel so incredibly grateful that I am allowed to have you in my life! Love my Sandra time :)

Tanna Barker Dyer

Anonymous said...

Even in times of Jesus they drank wine in moderation. I believe that alcohol in small amounts acts as an anti-depressant and basically chilled people out. Life is stressful and unless we are taught good coping skills by others we are left learning them ourselves. We need to worry less about what the Jones' are doing/progressing and focus on ourselves and well being. We can't help anyone if we've not filled our own cup first. I love you Sandy. You are an amazing woman. Thank you for being who you are!

Kim Horlacher

Anonymous said...

Sandra- this post reminded me of a time i was attending a UofU married student ward and the lesson was on the womans role in the church and house. In a setting with many independent women studying to be doctors etc., the lesson stated "A woman should not take any responsibility outside of the home unless assigned it by her husband." Needless to say there was a small uprising and when questioned about the lesson the instructor showed this very sentence in the approved lesson manual. Its a shame that in a church that stresses the importance of family fails the most important piece of the family. Without a strong woman, there is no such thing as a strong man. Its good to see that there are strong women who are willing to stand up for their position, in the church and in society.

Zak Farrington

DrFlynnDMD said...

I am the luckiest guy on earth to be married to a woman who is real, has an opinion, holds her own, intelligent and stands for what she knows is true. You are so on target on this subject, it seems so hypocritical to simultaneously praise and belittle women at the same time. They want you to be both prominent in the lives of others while remaining hidden and quiet in the background. You are assured of equality, yet never given the pleasure of its reality. I foresee a vast host of women in the heavens above on the celestial merits of enduring life in a male lopsidedly weighted world. I also foresee countless men cowering in your presence who for the first time realizing the divinity they had oppressed and neglected in their lifetime. I believe women are Gods greatest creation and they do not need men to be great, they just need men to get out of their way!

-Randall.Ashley- said...

Another great post. You need to write a book-seriously. And you give me courage to speak up a little more in church. I know that feeling well; wanting so badly to say something, but chicken out because I'm afraid of being "controversial." But I need to! So thanks =)

Anonymous said...

I have to say that living outside of Utah after growing up in Utah, I have many friends that also suffer with (mild) depression or anxiety and are not LDS... and they treat it with a glass of wine at the end of the day. Most of them do not experience what they consider enough depression to medicate. I found it interesting. Also, when I did live in Provo, my OB, (not LDS) said that we should put Prozac in the water. :)

Jennefer said...

Great post. I am glad that you feel courage to say what is on your mind. What do you think of this post? http://zelophehadsdaughters.com/2012/08/06/the-temptations-of-quietism/