Sunday, August 26, 2012

Good For Nothing?

This conversation just took place at our dinner table--with me there, although it seemed like no one realized it at the time.

Christian:  "Mom, would you rather die first, or have dad die first?"

Hunter:  "It would be better if mom did, because then dad could let us watch all the movies that she normally won't let us watch."

Elisabeth:  "Ya.  Mom should die first because then we could get another dog!  YAYYYY!"

All of the kids at this point are gleefully and energetically planning which dog they would choose, should my untimely demise occur.

Hunter:  "But I guess then we would have to do all of our chores ourselves because mom wouldn't be there to help us."

Me:  "Boy, I'm glad I'm good for something as important as helping you with the dishes."  (Sarcastically said)

Hunter:  "Ya.  Me too."

And then they all rushed downstairs to watch a movie, that I may or may not approve of, with their favorite parent.  (Which obviously isn't me).

Should I have been given the chance to respond, I would have said that I would have wanted to die after Robert because I would want to be on Earth with them as long as possible and not in heaven with extended relatives and strangers. But, I am now reconsidering that answer.

HMMMMMM.  Not the best moment in time for insight into how their minds think about me.

I think I am in need of an affirmation like this one to soothe my wounded ego:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ldAQ6Rh5ZI

"I'm good enough.  I'm smart enough.  And doggone it, people (my children) like me!!"


2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh Sandra, don't be offended that this post made me laugh out loud. Oh so funny.

Jennefer said...

I am sure if you died your kids would cry for days. They would never get over it. They were just acting like hooligans when they said that - as kids will do. But I did have a similar thought about chores the other day. I was filling the dishwasher and thinking to myself, "I am really good at this. I am really fast and all the dishes fit perfectly inside. I am awesome at this." And then I realized that, that was my expertise: dishwasher loading. At my funeral, that is what they will say. "She could load a dishwasher so fast and so well. That was her contribution. Well done."