Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Law of Abundance

When I was about 20, I was introduced to the concept of the Law of Abundance.  I know there are a lot of new age definitions that may differ from my own understanding of the law, but what I grew to perceive about it is that there are certain things that if you seek them, they will not run out but continue to give and give, and give.  As soon as I learned this, I stashed it away in the back recesses of my mind and every once in a while, I would ponder about it because I didn't really understand how to apply it to my life yet.  Up until about the last 8 years, I spent a lot of time being envious of others and leading my life as if it were a competition.  I felt that by acknowledging a positive trait in someone else, somehow it made it so I couldn't be the "winner" and that it took away from my value.  How much time and energy I wasted on comparing, being jealous, competitive, and selfish in not telling people the good I saw in them!  Until, I started realizing that there is an abundance of all of the things I wanted; enough for me and everyone else.  So if I saw that someone else was an amazing mother, wife, or individual I could acknowledge it was true, compliment them and still realize that their being amazing didn't mean that I couldn't do the same in my own way.  I know this sounds like a simple concept and maybe a bit confusing, but it has led to a lot of self-fulfillment in my life.  It has allowed me to freely see and acknowledge the good I see in others, has made me less harsh on myself and others, and has unburdened me from the constant feelings of envy.  Now of course I still have these negative feelings seep into my life occasionally, but I notice them now and can quickly try to change my thinking pattern.  So at this time of year, I am especially THANKFUL for the wonderful friends and family that I have in my life that are strong, talented, beautiful, compassionate, brilliant, and loving and I can truly be happy for this because I know that I can be all of these things too!

3 comments:

Julie said...

That is a wonderful concept that can help all of us to be happier about ourselves and others!

Krissy Noel said...

I love your blog and everything you choose to write about.

Amy Evensen said...

Love this post Sandy!!