Sunday, November 14, 2010

Friends. Who new??

I have had few true friends in my life.  Truth be told, a lot of the reason for that is my fault.  I had wonderful childhood friends, but once I moved to Utah, I never really felt like I fit in.  And then I always had a boyfriend which kept me from doing things with friends.  I don't think I knew how to live my life any other way at the time.  From my experience, girls could be very petty in nature as well as fickle and mean.  So I chose to have really good guy friends and several serious boyfriends.  In college, I had two really good roommates named Amy and Alison and the rest were nut-cases.  After we got married, we had several fun couples that we did a lot with, but everyone's life was transient at the time so we (and they) were always moving on.  After I had children, I felt consumed with raising them and honestly, Robert was already everything I needed.  There was and is no one that is as much fun or as interesting or as understanding and helpful as him.  I have never been a person that needed more than one or two really good friends and often, when life got tedious, I found friends to be time-consuming and at times burdensome.  I am of the opinion that people often use friends to substitute for a lack of emotional intimacy with spouses and children.
     In the past couple of years, however, I have really learned the great blessing that a friend can be.  For the first time in my life, I have been surrounded by the most inspiring, honest, fun people that I ever have in my life.  This weekend, I was invited with 3 other women to go to a cabin in Wyoming for a "girl's weekend".  We talked, laughed, cried, ate, and shared non-stop for 12 hours the first day and the 5 hours until we left on the second day.  And none of the conversation was wasted on gossip, or husband-bashing as some girl's getaways are.  It was one of the most profound experiences of my life to hear of these women's hardships, tragedies, successes, opinions, and senses of humor.  I felt so inspired and uplifted by these incredible women.  I feel protected, like if anything bad happened in my life, I would have stalwart people to lean on.
     It's so nice when you get to be a grown-up and can have friends of all ages.  Some of my friends are younger, some my age, some my parent's age, and I even have one who is in her mid-sixties--  Dear Joann who I visit teach, who has a love of photography similar to mine and who several months ago said to us that she felt like s_ _ _  that day and so she didn't want to hear the lesson we had prepared. (!) So refreshing.  I also have had the opportunity to become a member of a Mom's discussion group.  A friend from my past (who has since become a dear friend) invited me into this discussion group and I have loved hearing other Moms' viewpoints, different life experiences, and insights.  I also occasionally run with a group in my neighborhood at 5:45 am in the morning.  They are all strong athletes, good friends, and the conversation is fun.  Opening myself up to friends has really given me more compassion for all people because I have realized that every person has a compelling story to share.  Every person has something to teach me.  And really, in the end, we're all more alike than we are different.  
Julie and I
Me and Lucinda at Disney World
Me, Inger, Teresa, and Annie at the cabin

6 comments:

Linda said...

Bravo! What a wonderful find and experience. A mother and wife are so much more when they are an individual as well and that means friends of their own as well as friends jointly with their spouse. Glad you had a great time!

Krissy Noel said...

I have never been one to have oodles of "best friends" either. I always had more guy friends than girls and I wouldn't have had it any other way. There are few girls I consider close friends these days and I am a bit jealous that you have found some close friends in your ward. That's something I don't really have...I can't seem to fully click with them all the way. I wish I could jump right into a close friendship and have a few close friends like you who are REAL, who I can't act myself around! I am envious of your close girl friends!!!! Like you, I don't really care to have a bunch of girls nights out all the time, nor am I big on book clubs and craft nights. I'd rather hang out with Zack, walk around Gateway, or grab some takeout and chill with the pups.

Alison Woods said...

I was one of your college roommates . . . am I considered a nut-case?? I know I am but I was just wondering if you thought I was too.

Julie said...

Many people go a whole lifetime not having an experience like the one you had last weekend. I am making some friends here and hope that they can become close. I have recently reconnected with dear friends I had as a senior in high school and college. It was a choice experience. also, my nurse friends are dearer than ever! Remember to read leah's blogs...

Juliann said...

I get together with my group of girlfriends from my neighborhood growing up every single month, and we have for the last 10 years. We have literally been friends for 25 years. It is one of the most incredible blessings in my life, to have friends like them. We have been through it all together. So glad you were able to get away.

Amos said...

Yes, friends ROCK, don't they? I'm glad you listed me as one of the sane ones :o) and hope you know you are still one my besties!