Thursday, June 10, 2010

My Mom

I think it's safe to say that no matter how old I get, I will always need my Mom.  I don't care if I'm 80 and she's 100, I'll still need her advice, support, wisdom, and love.
     Now that my 5 week ordeal of being injured is over, I can safely speak about it.  About 5 weeks ago while training for a race, I unknowingly tore a major muscle in my thigh.  Never having being injured and having a high tolerance to pain, I took two days off and then ran 8 miles on it.  Well, needless to say, the next day, I could hardly walk and the pain was excruciating.  I really thought that it would take a few days to recover and then I'd be back to my normal fast-paced schedule.  It wasn't until I visited a sports medicine doctor that I realized it would be a 4-6 week recovery and I should be taking it as easy as possible and need physical therapy.  There really are no words to convey how incredibly hard this is with 5 very active children.  I am used to starting my day by bolting out of bed and literally running, running, running the whole day, sweating and with my heart racing.  I very much enjoy my independence and being extremely physically active.  How was I going to take it EASY for 4-6 weeks?!  I have to admit, I re-injured the muscle 2-3 times because of my over-zealousness in wanting to recover.  There were times when I grew depressed over not being able to do things myself and being trapped in my house.  My 3 oldest kids were amazing, but my 2 youngest did not understand why I couldn't do certain things and often grew frustrated with me.
      I will confess that I ABHOR having to be helped.  It makes me uncomfortable, it makes me feel like I am going to have to "owe" someone in the future, and it makes me sort of depressed at not being able to do things on my own.  Well, that's where a wonderful mother like mine can help.  My mom was my angel for those many weeks.  She baked me elaborate dinners, dropped off and picked up my daughter from preschool, took my very active 3 yr. old to her house many times, cleaned my house, did my laundry, and took the kids out to lunch and on fun adventures.  Everyday, she called to check in on me.  I seriously don't know how I could have done it without her.  I think this was the first time in my life when I absolutely could NOT do it on my own, and I am so thankful that I had my Mom here to help me.  I forget every once in a while how nice it is to have her, until I talk to my close friend who lost her mom to cancer 6 years ago and she still struggles with needing a Mom's advice, support, and unconditional love.
      I am so incredibly thankful for her and the close relationship we share.  I am so thankful that when I needed her, she was there.  I love you, Mom!





*Isn't she beautiful?

2 comments:

Julie said...

I feel so humbled and honored that you feel the way you do. I was so happy to help you because you do so much for everyone else. You make my life happyier and more rewarding. I love you- Mom

Juliann said...

Loved this, Sandy. I can so relate to your feelings and the things you went through while being injured...it is like nothing else. And Julie is beautiful. :)