Sunday, July 11, 2010

Highlights and Lowlights

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: New York Family Vacation
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Customize your own free slideshow

We just got back from a wonderful family trip to Western New York. We were able to see Niagara Falls, the Hill Cumorah Pageant, the Sacred Grove, Palmyra, stayed at a cabin on Lake Canandaigua, went boating, and did lots of hiking. Sounds amazing in theory, right? I'll let you decide:


Here's the Good--

*Got to accomplish a long-held desire to see Niagara Falls and the Sacred Grove.

*The Hill Cumorah Pageant was incredible. Very well made and powerful.

*We were able to meet up with Robert's parents and do lots of fun activities with them.

*We had a blast boating.

*I love seeing parts of the world that are different than my own. I was fascinated by the people, the scenery, and the houses.

*My kids all did really well on the plane rides, which is really great considering it took about 7 hours each way.

*Got to take many pictures of some spectacular scenery.

*We made lots of wonderful family memories.


Here's the bad and the ugly:


*Temperatures of 100 degrees with 99% humidity. We were drenched in sweat for 6 days.

*Hearing the echoes of 4 children's crying from one end of the Sacred Grove to the other. Yes, there were no spiritual experiences to be had here as I had hoped.

*Trying to navigate maps for Robert as we grew increasingly sick of each other.

*Hiking up an unexpected 1600 steps on our trek through Watkins Glen State Park.

*Sleeping in a loft bedroom where ALL sounds could be heard and no privacy was to be had.

*Having to "sit" on a child that had so much energy he was bouncing off the walls at midnight.

*Feeling guilty about not wanting to see one more church history site for a LONG time.

*Not realizing that Hunter had been stung by a wasp and telling him to stop acting like a maniac. (He was screaming like he had had a limb amputated and he wouldn't tell me what had happened, so I assumed he was overreacting.)

*When asking the kids what their favorite things were on our trip, Hunter piped up, "I would have to say the gift shop." Swell.

All in all, I am thankful for the opportunity we had to go. Only time will tell what, if anything, our kids get out of the experiences we try to give them. And as for me, I am hoping on a quick recovery from this latest family trip.

7 comments:

joN aNd tRiciA said...

Such pretty pictures Sandra! I would love to blow up a couple of those scenic ones and put in my living room. Looks like you guys had a great trip. I have always wanted to go there, maybe soon! Miss you guys!

Alison Woods said...

You are a brave woman. Dave wants to take the kids on a trip like that but I said absolutely not. I think I would go insane. I love reading your blog. You're so funny, and I miss you!

Jen said...

You are so funny Sandy! I love how candid you are! And I loved your smilebox video! You certainly captured the joyous moments! You have such a beautiful family! I'd have to say, through the thick and thin of it all, you are truly blessed.

Tiffany said...

Oh Sandy, you had me laughing as usual. I LOVE how REAL you are... Surely all mothers can relate to the good and bad of your trip. How fun and exciting though to have gone!

Krissy Noel said...

I loved your slideshow. What a spectacular place to go! I would have loved the hot and humidity, but I know how you love your cool autumn weather! ;) I especially enjoyed your highlights and lowlights of the trip. I had a good laugh for sure!

Julie said...

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, etc. What an effort it took on YOUR part to make this vacation happen. love mom

Linda said...

It is amazing the memory that will last from family trips. It won't be the gift shop or the wasp sting but when things in history or church mention these areas they'll think, hey I was there. I remember... and they'll remember more by all of the great pictures that you took. And by the way my earlier experiences in the Sacred Grove with children were similar to yours, not the spiritual high. I found working at the Hill Cumorah site and visiting the Grove a few times when hardly anyone was there made a difference. I also think we can find our own Sacred Grove in different places and different times that strengthen us and testify that what really happened in the Sacred Grove, the appearance of God the Father and Jesus Christ to Joseph Smith really did happen. I find the Temple is a great place for me. Thanks for sharing your vacation and experiences with us.