Monday, July 9, 2012

A Most Unexpected Lesson

Life is stressful, even when everything is "normal" and there are no glaring issues of trial or discontent. As my kids mature, I am noticing that I am able to have more free time to pursue things I enjoy, but when I am at home, I have less personal space.  It's not like when they are little and you and your spouse can have a full conversation on whatever topic you choose and the children may interrupt, but they are completely oblivious to what you are talking about, or you can tell them to please leave the room.  Things have also changed because instead of doing things for them, like taking them to the zoo or the park, they want to do things more with us such as participating in conversations, or doing our hobbies with us, usually taking note of our every move.   Yes, my every weakness, bad moment, bad word, etc. is broadcast, magnified, noticed, and often commented on now by most of my children.  It feels like private moments at home between Robert and I are few and far between and consistently dwindling even from that.  We just got back from a week long trip to Kauai, which was a dream come true for me, but also somewhat stressful being around each other for 8 whole days with NO break.  At one point, I kind of felt like the dynamic of family togetherness was really turning Robert and I against each other, or should I just say it in more plain terms:  We were bugging the crap out of each other! Everything that came out of his mouth I thought, "Is he for real?!"  And I am sure the feeling was mutual.  HAHAHA!  So brutal, but so true.  When we got home, we both laid lifeless in our beds, not speaking, thankfully not touching, zoning out to a missed episode of "The Bachelorette" and the thought crossed my mind, "I guess this is what life has come to for us.  We're just like everybody else now"…  And then I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth, and on the floor I saw this:

"OHHHH NOOOOO!"  I screeched, jolting both me and Robert out of our much needed boredom.  A faint memory of Ashton being in the bathroom "brushing his teeth" for an exorbitant amount of time flashed from my subconscious into my conscious mind.  Robert was up now too, and we ran upstairs to assess the damage.




And what did we do??   We laughed so hard we were ROLLING on the floor holding our stomachs as Ashton took in the scene with disbelief.  It was like being in the shower, letting all of the water pour down on you, washing all of our small frustrations, and annoyances from the week go down the drain.  And suddenly we were US again, lovely US.  And I guess that's what a marriage is all about; sometimes you can't stand each other, but you always love each other because there will always be that moment that reminds you why you fell in love, and why you continue to choose that person every day for the rest of your lives.

And then we buzzed the rest of Ashton's hair off together while he cried.


My little baldy

Me and my Robert


I will always choose him.





8 comments:

DrFlynnDMD said...

Everyone of our kids have taken a pair of sissors to their heads (or one of their friends heads!) at one point in their childhood. I suppose this was just Ashton's right of passage.

Ironically, he did not mind his new haircut, it was only when we shaved the rest of his head that the realization hit him that he was bald. Of course, he blamed us.

And for the record--I choose you every time!

Strong Family said...

What a handsome little boy! I love his facial expressions in the pictures. Certainly tells the story. :) I love your guys' reaction. How could you not laugh?

Tiffany said...

Ohhhhh I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your honesty. A good marriage has those temporary down times.

As for the haircut--so funny. For the record, none of my children have ever taken scissors to their hair. (Knock on wood.) Although Nair on the head is another story...

Jennefer said...

Do you notice that the trips where you go without kids your spouse is so much more perfect? I don't know what happens. And why is it that the kids always love their own haphazard hair creation no matter how awful - and not just the hair but the outfits too. "No Brook you can not wear Adams Sunday shirt and tie to school!" Runs from the room screaming,"Then I Won't go to school! " Screams while you wrestle it off and try for normal clothes. Geez kids these days...Glad you were able to laugh about it.

Krissy Noel said...

so hilarious and refreshing. i can't wait to hear all about Kauai!! i swear a vacation isn't a vacation without a little annoyance (or a lot) of the ones you are vacationing with! zack and i sometimes "tolerate" each other, but at the end of the day, we know we genuinely love each other despite how much we tick the other off haha

Alison Woods said...

Oh my gosh, I am DYING laughing. So hilarious! We are taking our kids to Hawaii in December for 14 days! Yikes, I'm scared!

Life's New Adventures at home said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Life's New Adventures at home said...

Just had to laugh when I saw the pile of hair on the floor. I knew what was coming. What generation hasn't tried to be a hairdresser. I know I did the night before family pictures, fortunately my mom was able to fix it without having me go bald. I remember some of my kids doing it with one of them having one side of his head shaved to the scalp and now onto grandchildren. Life is so full of surprises. We need good laughs to keep our body and mind healthy. Thanks for the chuckle Ashton.