Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sometimes once a year feels like too much...

It will be nice when going to annual tithing settlement doesn't involve heart palpitations and me being in a cold sweat.  Yes, today was tithing settlement and as is customary, our family of 7 met with the Bishop.  Here are some highlights:

--During the introductory chit-chat, Ashton and Hunter are socking each other and laughing uncontrollably.

--I am desperately trying to get their attention by yell-whispering, "Guys!  Shhhh!" while keeping a smile on my face as if I am sweet and somewhat amused.  But I am not either of these.

--Elisabeth is kicking the bishop's desk and accidentally kicks in one of the doors on the front of it.  The Bishop seems distracted with the introductory chit-chat so when Madison points at the door that Elisabeth has just demolished, I tell her to be quiet.

--Hunter, who was behind on paying tithing, when prompted by Robert as to whether he could make it up by the end of the year responds, "I don't know!  I can't tell the future!"  And then an exasperated, "FINE!  I'll do it!"  He then gets the giggles with Elisabeth and they won't control themselves.

--The Bishop has a basket of candy for the kids on his desk within their reach.  Elisabeth forages for candy like a starving squirrel while he is talking and won't stop in spite of my desperate whispers, "Stop!  Just pick one!"

--Upon getting in the car I reprimand Hunter on his disrespectful behavior and nominate him to teach tomorrow's family night lesson on the importance of TITHING.  He acts like he has never heard of the concept of tithing before.

--Robert telling the kids on the way home, "Sunday is officially over for us.  Don't answer the door, don't answer the phone and whatever you do, DON'T ask me and mom to do anything!"  Well said.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm truly sorry Sandy for your tithing settlement experience but I burst out laughing at Hunter saying he can't predict the future. You are a saint.

Dad

Alison Woods said...

Are you sure you weren't at OUR tithing settlement last year? Cuz it sure sounded like our family!

Tiffany said...

LOVE you and your honesty. And I love even more that your family is so very similar to my own!

Julie said...

And there you are trying to make this a wonderful experience for the kids and all they can do is grab the candy, kick the desk, and get the giggles. Do they know what they do to their parents? Been there, done that! HA HA!

Marilyn said...

Wonderful experience. The poor Bishop. I am sure he has many similar experiences. I think it surely was a wonderously spiritual experience for all . You brighten my day. Love Grandma

MJ Kitzmiller said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I used to just tell the bishop my kids were all sick (when they were little) just to avoid this scenario!!!! Hunter was just being honest! So funny!

Linda said...

I laughed so much it brought tears to my eyes as I invisioned each one of your children in that situation. Glad you're still smiling, I sure am! You're wonderful.