Monday, August 29, 2011

Transition

Now that I've had a week to recover from the summer and to process the transitions I am going through, I can now write about it.  One of the main goals I have had in raising my children is to teach them independence.  This was the first summer that I really felt their ability to be somewhat self-sufficient taking over.   The house felt empty many times as the two oldest were busy with friends and summer camps.  The two youngest have finally reached the stage where I don't have to worry so much that they are going to leave the house without telling me or swallow pennies.  All of my children are capable of making their own lunches (yes, even the 4 year old), folding and putting away their own laundry, and doing all sorts of household duties, including mowing the lawn for the 3 oldest.  And I am very proud of this because as any Mom knows, it's HARD to motivate kids to work--way harder then if we were to just do it ourselves.  My kids did jobs EVERYDAY of summer except on my birthday (a wonderful gift to myself) and by the end of summer, they would get up, look around and see what needed to be done, and do it because they knew there was no way out of it.  Success!  But boy did it take a lot of long-suffering on my part!  ( I think I may have aged at least a few years from this)
     Raising children produces such a complex mixture of emotions.  For example, I am so proud that they are growing up into good and happy people, but I miss the sweet toddler phase of each of them,  when they get their two bottom teeth and take their first steps.  So here are some things I am thankful for right at this moment and trying very hard to hold on to:

*My 12 year old still calls me "Mama."  I know the days are numbered before someone makes her feel uncomfortable for this, so I will cling to it every minute of every day.

*I still have children young enough to play at the park and go to children's museums.  There is almost nothing quite as enjoyable as watching your child gleefully playing at the park on a pleasant, not-too-hot day.  On one day this summer, I took all 5 kids to the park for a picnic and it made me so happy to be there with all of them!

*My 4 year old still carries his ratty old stuffed dog everywhere he goes and insists on wearing one glove everyday.  He also calls sandwiches "smash-smiches".  How I LOVE that!

*They all still seem to prefer being at home versus their friend's houses.  Yes, it is hectic with them and their friends over, but I am grateful they love to be home.

*With the exception of Christian, they all still believe in Santa Claus (I am wondering if I may have to force Madison to "see the light" on this one, after all she is 12).  Holidays are magical with children.  As a matter of fact, we have received a few Halloween magazines in the mail and the kids covet them like candy.  They look through them everyday and put them in a special place so I don't throw them out.

*None of them have progressed to the teenage thinking that reasons, "Why isn't YOUR room clean?" when I ask them to clean their room.  I know the days are numbered on this one too because the older they get, the more they watch your every move.

*They all still want me at all of their school and extracurricular events.  They don't seem to be embarrassed of me…yet.  (Maybe I'm just oblivious to their embarrassment)

*One of the things I treasure most about my children is their innocence.  How I wish they could always be unconscious of the evils of the world around them!  At this point, they still think the "s-h word" is shut-up. And that "stupid", "idiot", and the word "dumb" are all bad words, worthy of punishment.

*Most of them still "make-believe" play.  I love when they dress up in costumes, pretend they are dogs, or that they are teachers at school or the mom and dad with their stuffed animals as children.

*They get excited for every weekend when they can sleep in sleeping bags all together downstairs.

*My almost 7 year old still LOVES tigers, lions, and leopards.  She pretends she is one every day, ski-daddling around the house.  Sooo precious!  When she introduces herself, she says her full name:  Elisabeth Rose Tigerdog Flynn.

Ashton mopping as his summer chore


Ashton making himself lunch





On another topic, Christian FINISHED his Eagle Project which was to make a bookshelf and collect funds to buy books for women and children at the domestic violence shelter in Kaysville. (Safe Harbor)  I couldn't believe how generous people were!  He collected around $1500 and was able to buy about 125 books!   Way to go Christian!  (And his parents)




This is right before he took all of the donations to the shelter
to drop off.

5 comments:

Alison Woods said...

Way to go Christian! He finished his Eagle project so early! What an awesome kid!

Tiffany said...

So there is hope for me? Teaching our children responsibility is one of the very hardest things--it would be SO MUCH easier to do it ourselves, yet we keep persevering hoping it will pay off. Glad you saw some pay-offs for YOUR efforts. You are a wonderful mother Sandra and a great example to me. I love your honesty and realness. Love ya!

-Randall.Ashley- said...

Can I take lessons from you once I become a mother? You are such a great example!

Julie said...

No wonder your kids are so wonderful...they have a mother that teaches them correct principles and lets them govern themselves. Bravo!

Tiffany said...

I'm back to re-read your post. I was telling my husband about your post this morning and wondering what I must be doing wrong, my kids aren't GETTING IT!!!!! Aagh-it is so hard...