Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Staying Sane

You know what irks me at this time of year?  Mothers who feel the need to announce to the world how much they LOVE summer because all of their kids are home and they just can't get enough of them.  I have observed that these mothers are never offering this tidbit of information upon being asked, but always volunteer the information unsolicited as to make all the other "not so excited" mothers feel "less than."  These are the same people who ask me if I'm excited to have all the kids home for the summer, to which I answer honestly, "Yes-- at least for the first couple of weeks.  But by August, I want them outta here!"  In response,  they stare at me, wide-eyed and flabbergasted as if they have never felt like this and obviously I must not love my children as much as they do.  OK, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but just because I can admit to an increasing amount of messes and fights as summer progresses and that I DO NOT ENJOY the added messes and fights, does not mean I don't cherish being a mother as much as they do and don't love my children dearly.  Sometimes, absence makes the heart grow fonder--such as the fact that my 6 year old who is in private school, still has a whole week more of school.  I think I am most fond of her right now.

Here is how I structure my summer in order to stay sane:

*Extra chores every morning which they earn points for which can be traded in later for fun activities or a toy.

*Workbooks for all.  They may also earn points for this--but only if they don't complain about having to do them.

*1-2 hour quiet time every day where they must read or do something else quiet in their rooms.

*A regular bedtime during the week.  On the weekend, I don't mind if they have late nights.

*The 3 oldest take turns playing with Ashton.  He loves it and it helps them have a close relationship with him in spite of the age difference.

*Summer camps.  Each child is signed up for 1 or 2 short day camps in an area that interests them.  I can't stand to have my kids watch TV, so this helps keep them busy.

*1-2 date nights per week with Robert.  We usually go out once a week, but during the summer, sometimes an extra date is necessary.

*Good books to read.  Always having a good book to read helps my mind have a break from the menial activities of the day.

*Exercise.  I get up early to exercise so that when they get up, I am home.  It totally sets the mood for the rest of the day for me.  I am always happier if I have managed to fit exercise into my day.

*Lowered expectations of how clean the house should be.  Of course I don't start the summer out with lowered expectations, but by the end, I am worn down and I just can't keep up with it.  And that's OK.

*Nights out by myself or with a friend.  A couple of times during the summer, I "fly the coop."  Usually I go to the book store and read or go to the mall or Tai Pan to look around.  This is always very therapeutic.

I guess for me, structure is the key to staying sane.  It seems like they too, are happier when they know what to expect each day, even in the summer.

Happy Summer to all the Moms out there!  (At least for the month of June)

5 comments:

Alison Woods said...

I was just about to post a similar post but you beat me to the punch. I hope you don't think I copied you when I write mine!

Tiffany said...

Hope you aren't referring to the post I wrote--because if you notice from my title-I already have the count-down begun until school starts again!! I love the change/break from the school routine, but I am still going crazy only 2 days into it...

Julie said...

You have many of the same ideas as I did when you kids were at home- like, extra chores, workbooks, quiet time. Good for you and I understand EVERYTHING.

Life's New Adventures at home said...

I enjoyed summer time when the kids were growing up because it meant no tight schedule. I agree scheduled activities on our time frame was the most rewarding. Incentives, especially reading, were powerful tools to keep the mind active. Great job!

Life's New Adventures at home said...

I enjoyed summer time when the kids were growing up because it meant no tight schedule. I agree scheduled activities on our time frame was the most rewarding. Incentives, especially reading, were powerful tools to keep the mind active. Great job!