Monday, January 25, 2010

Christian




It is not in my nature to brag, but I just have to say a few things about my son Christian. I'd like to think of this post as recognizing someone for outstanding achievement instead of bragging.
He and I had somewhat of a rough start. Being my first child, I really had no idea what I was doing and he also came with some added challenges. Since he was my first, I thought his incessant screaming and excessive demands were due to my inadequacies as a mother, and so for the first 4 years of his life I had tremendous guilt and shame for not doing a better job and for not really liking being a mother. Later, we found out that his behavior was due to an anxiety disorder as well as some OCD.
The reason I have the desire to sing his praises is that not only has he overcome these two things, but has become one of the greatest blessings and examples in my life. Christian possesses a rare maturity in spirit. He reads scriptures and religious history on a daily basis, he never complains about his duties as Deacon's quorum president, he takes his responsibilities in passing the sacrament very seriously, and is able to immediately apply any spiritual concept he is taught. Christian can always be counted on to cook a meal, or babysit and is very empathetic towards me when he sees that I am overwhelmed. There have been many times that he can tell I am at my whit's end, and he will offer to take one of the younger kids and play with them. Christian also excels at school, receiving yet another 4.0 last term. I never have to worry about whether his homework or projects are done, or whether he is behaving in class--all of his teachers love him. The other day, I went down in his room and along with several scripture verses posted to his desk, he had made a daily workout regimen which he completely sticks to without any encouragement on my part. He often runs 6-8 miles a day and lifts weights all on his own. I often have to remind myself that he is only 13! Although he has many worldly achievements, it is his character that I am most proud of. He is kind, strong, wise, an incredible example to his family, and full of joy. I am so thankful to have him as my child and often wonder how I could be so blessed to have him. He makes me want to be better.

5 comments:

Krissy Noel said...

Christian seriously is an amazing boy. He is most definitely mature for his age. He caries himself with a demeanor different from other boys his age. He completely blows me out of the water for sure! He's surpassed me in many many aspects of life at the young age of 13!

Julie said...

So... when I grow up... I want to be like... Christian. Amazing! Thanks for sharing & inspiring!

Amy Evensen said...

What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing

Julie said...

Last night after work I drove up to our new home to see how things were going. Just after leaving and heading home I saw a young man jogging in the cold. How commendable I thought. Sure wish I had energy and stamina like that... As I got closer I could see that it was Christian... I'm truly proud of him. Papa

Life's New Adventures at home said...

Bravo! Mother's should right more brag blogs about their children and praise them for their good works and righteous choices. When we focus on the positive we find they increase. I hope you shared this with Christian. We love him dearly.