Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Remarkable

Sometimes what's even more inspirational than seeing someone reach great heights, is witnessing someone get up and keep going in spite of hardship.  I was reminded of this truth yesterday when I took my daughter Madison in to get evaluated for learning disabilities.  Her struggles to learn have been pervasive and consistent throughout her whole life.  We have spent countless hours with her for many years, trying to help her learn, many times there has been extreme frustration and tears.  We hesitated getting her tested over the years because we decided that it was best to not place so much emphasis on grades and labeling her and thought that this might call even more attention to her inabilities instead of focusing on her wonderful abilities.  But at her recent request, we decided to go ahead with testing.  The conversation between the psychologist and Madison went something like this:

Doctor:  "It must be really frustrating to put in so much effort and continually not do well on tests.  Do you ever wake up and dread school?"

Madison:  "Sometimes I'm so excited to go to school because of my friends that I wake up extra early!"

Doctor:  "Do you ever feel like giving up when things are so hard for you at school?"

Madison:  "No, I've never thought about giving up."

Doctor:  "How would you rate your happiness with your life?"

Madison:  "A perfect 10."

At this point, the doctor looks over at me and says, "You do realize how remarkable your daughter is, right?  You almost never see a child with learning disabilities like she has that remains happy, hopeful, and well adjusted."

I had to really get ahold of myself in an effort not to tear up at that point.  Madison has watched her older brother get awards and accolades and straight A's her whole life and somehow, she is proud of him and doesn't ever let it get her down.  She has watched her sister skip a grade and her younger brother easily glide through school with minimal effort.  For as proud of Christian as I am for all of his incredibly hard work day in and day out to achieve great things academically, I am equally proud of Madison for her perseverance and positive disposition in the face of difficult obstacles.  And I am reminded once again why I love being a mother so much:  They teach me more than I could ever hope to teach them.  I am so inspired by them.  Even in their imperfections, they are perfect to me.




9 comments:

DrFlynnDMD said...

Madison is our shining star of happiness and optimism. I am so proud of her. She is an amazing individual full of life and love, with a just little shake of teenage attitude!

Tiffany said...

WOW! Just WOW! Very impressive.

Julie said...

I am so impressed with Madison's character, inner strength and happiness. What an example she is to me. I'm also impressed with with your perserverance, love, and positive attitude through all your parenting situations.
This life takes a great deal of courage and faith and you exibit this beautifully.

Krissy Noel said...

She is amazing. Her positivity is why she has so many friends. People are clearly drawn to her because of her optimistic spirit. She was THE CUTEST baby ever and has become such a beautiful girl (aka young woman although I avoid using that term like the plague) I am so impressed with YOU Sandy for being such a good mom to raise such well adjusted children. You are a wonderful example to me of perseverance through trials.

MJ Kitzmiller said...

Amen to everything that has been said about Madison and you. She will always be a blessing to you. What a beautiful girl.

grandma said...

I truly love Madison, She is beautiful and remarkable in every way. She makes this grandma happy too.

grandma said...

I truly love Madison, She is beautiful and remarkable in every way. She makes this grandma happy too.

Alison Woods said...

What a great kid! I wish Ryann and Madison knew each other, I think they would be great friends.

Life's New Adventures at home said...

Way to go Madison.
I needed to read this to remind me of my families positive strengths. How fortunate we are to have children who teach us. I learn everyday by the good examples from my children and grandchildren. I think the Lord see's our strengths and tries our weaknesses to build them into strengths.