Monday, November 4, 2013

Parenting Manifesto

I have recently discovered an author named Brene Brown whose thoughts about vulnerability, courage, worthiness, and shame really resonate with me.  I saw an interview by Oprah with her where she read a parenting manifesto that I LOVED and thought I would share it.  It probably comes closest to mirroring my own beliefs on parenting.

The Wholehearted Parenting Manifesto

*Above all else, I want you to know that you are loved and loveable.

*You will learn this from my words and actions—the lessons on love are in how I treat you and how I treat myself.

*I want you to engage with the world from a place of worthiness.

*You will learn that you are worthy of love, belonging, and joy every time you see me practice self-compassion and embrace my own imperfections.

*We will practice courage in our family by showing up, letting ourselves be seen, and honoring vulnerability. We will share our stories of struggle and strength. There will always be room in our home for both.

*We will teach you compassion by practicing compassion with ourselves first; then with each other. We will set and respect boundaries; we will honor hard work, hope, and perseverance. Rest and play will be family values, as well as family practices.

*You will learn accountability and respect by watching me make mistakes and make amends, and by watching how I ask for what I need and talk about how I feel.

*I want you to know joy, so together we will practice gratitude.

*I want you to feel joy, so together we will learn how to be vulnerable.

*When uncertainty and scarcity visit, you will be able to draw from the spirit that is a part of our everyday life.

*Together we will cry and face fear and grief.  I will want to take away your pain, but instead I will sit with you and teach you how to feel it.

*We will laugh and sing and dance and create. We will always have permission to be ourselves with each other.  No matter what, you will always belong here.

*As you begin your Wholehearted journey, the greatest gift that I can give to you is to live and love with my whole heart and to dare greatly.

*I will not teach or love or show you anything perfectly, but I will let you see me, and I will always hold sacred the gift of seeing you. Truly, deeply, seeing you.

Beautiful, isn't it?  I think I'll have to print it up and put it on the door to the garage so my children can see it every day.

I also recently read another parenting strategy that believes that the relationship between the parent and the child is paramount. Of course it is, you may say, but I mean more important than behavior, it is more important than external success, it is more important than “socialization” or education.  In other words, choose nothing over the relationship with your child and that is the most effective way to guide them and have them listen to us and value our desires for them.  Interestingly enough, studies have found that children who love their parents, who feel they can rely upon them and trust them, are the easiest to parent.  I find this fascinating since there are so many auxiliary things that our children may think that we value more than them because of what our actions say about what we truly value.  I'm going to have to think more about this for sure.  And as with every parenting strategy, much easier said than done.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I missed the boat on many of these things, but feel I did my best I could with the circumstances I had. You are a great mother and try so hard.

Tiffany said...

So I guess what you're saying, is I shouldn't be so stinkin' mad at Megan about the state she left her room this morning....

Parenting is soooo hard.

Great advice here. I needed them all.

DrFlynnDMD said...

This is one of those post we all need to read over and over again and let it sink deep down into our soul and then become a part of who we are.

I believe this is how God's relationship with us is. He simply waits patiently for us to get it and when we do we see him as a loving Father embracing our unique and divine selves!