Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Just Ask

Sometimes life spins out of control
And you feel like you are barely treading water
And you think, it would be so nice if someone would stretch out a hand
But you don't like asking
In fact, you don't know if you even know how
And you falsely think, maybe someone will just notice
But you realize that if you want a different result, you must choose to act differently
So you put on a brave face . . . and Ask
And guess what?  You get what you needed so much,
In fact more than you ever expected
And you realize
I am loved.

About a week ago, I told Robert that I really needed a pick-me-up.  It felt awkward and unnatural, especially since he was equally burdened at the time.  He does so much for me, but lately it seemed like we just divide and conquer and flop down in bed at the end of the day, too exhausted to have any sort of meaningful conversation.  I thought perhaps he would get me flowers, but instead he created this really elaborate romantic scavenger hunt for me.  I got clues via text all day long and small gifts along the way.  He set up a massage for me and got Hunter to babysit and then that evening we had a dinner at the Roof restaurant in Salt Lake which is where he gave me my engagement ring many years back.  It was a breath of fresh air and renewed me so that I could carry on with a lighter load.  I realized that it's okay to ask for what you need, especially from those closest to you.


The beginning of the scavenger hunt

Clever hiding places

Clue under Jazzy's dog bed


A letter in Italian that I had to translate
Our view at dinner


Ashton drew this picture during Conference.  I love it so much.



Christian all dressed up for Homecoming Dance.


4 comments:

Jennefer said...

That is so sweet! Was this the night you came over? I am pretty sure not everyone would get that response if they asked for a pick me up. I think you are just lucky.

Alison Woods said...

How absolutely romantic and sensitive! I love it!

Julie said...

Very sweet and kind of Robert.

Life's New Adventures at home said...

So heavenly and romantic. It takes two to create such happiness and you two do it for each other. Thanks for the beauty. I had the same thought Jenflower did and I remember Robert said he had a night planned with Sandra and I initially thought but your sister is in town and then I thought good for you because your spouse comes first and you shouldn't have to break dates with the most important person in your life. Glad you two make life wonderful.