Monday, September 16, 2013

Art, A Birthday, and a Sunday Fieldtrip

Hunter and his painting of Messi, his soccer idol

Elisabeth turns 9!

Elisabeth and her favorite present
We have decided to take our older children to explore different churches within our community over the next year so that they can see and appreciate other people's religious views.  First stop was Cathedral of the Madeleine, a Catholic church in Salt Lake.  We also mixed this experience with a service project of handing out care packages to the homeless.  It was a wonderfully uplifting Sunday.

We stopped at Temple Square first





This lady was so so thankful to Christian and Madison for their gesture.  She said, "Praise Be to Jesus!"
Cathedral of the Madeleine

Beautiful.

6 comments:

Julie said...

What a wonderful way to spend a sabbath and very memorable. Great idea.

Tiffany said...

You never cease to amaze me! What a much better way to teach your children how to truly be Christlike, kind and charitable. They'll remember that long after they'd remember a simple FHE or Sunday School lesson. I just may have to copy/follow your lead on this one!
PS-What did you include in the care packages?

Krissy Noel said...

I always wished I had gone to other church services instead of just "going with the flow". As a young single adult, I always toyed with the idea, but was ultimately always too scared to go by myself. I didn't have the confidence to really go out of my way to go alone. Even now, I'm always curious to see how other religions worship and am curious to see the similarities and differences within religions. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. That cathedral is gorgeous! Glad it was a good experience for you all!

Nat101 said...

I've been trying to think of a good service project for my family. Thanks for the idea! Keep us posted on your church tour.

DrFlynnDMD said...

What a beautiful church. I wish our chapels were more awe inspiring and worship invoking. I'm glad they had that opportunity and left with such an inclusive spirit. After all, God loves all His children and wants us all to know Him and progress back to heaven. I think God is bigger than we often confine him to be.

Patty said...

I love The Cathedral of the Madeleine. Reminds me of my Grandma's church. I agree with Robert. I love our churches... but they need some stained glass and candles. Big time.