Sunday, September 1, 2013

A Mother There



As I have taught Gospel Doctrine over the past 5 months, I have consciously tried to refer to not just Heavenly Father in my lessons, but Heavenly parents, and also our Heavenly Mother.  Robert and I have always done this in our home, but not as much publicly at church until more recently.  I have always felt a little sadness in the fact that even the mention of Heavenly Mother is at times taboo even though I can't think of why it should be.  Just like our belief that on Earth, families function best with 2 parents, our lives would be more blessed and complete with more understanding of the other parent we have in heaven that we hear so little about.  I believe her virtual non existence in history is because of cultural beliefs based in sexism, and nothing more.  I resent the notion that God is somehow "protecting" her from her children because I believe like me, she is strong.  Simple logic refutes the well-intentioned idea that we protect her by hiding her. Surely it makes no sense that children should be denied knowing anything of their mother, talking about her, loving her and honoring her, during the most crucial period of their eternal journey. Doing so with an earthly mother would be unthinkable; how much more so with our Mother in Heaven? I don't believe this is healthy or the way it was ever meant to be and so changing my language to be more inclusive of Heavenly Mother is one way in which I am trying to change the unfortunate taboo that exists around her existence.  An acquaintance recently put this video together of conference references to our Heavenly parents which I was really touched by and I thought I would share it. Most of the references in the video refer to Heavenly parents, not just Heavenly Mother, but it still made me feel better having it all put together and hearing her inclusion so many times in succession.
(The link may not work on iPads or phones)--And yes, the woman in pink who speaks in the video, bugs.



7 comments:

-Randall.Ashley- said...

I'm glad you addressed this. I have also felt confused as to why we don't discuss and honor Her more. There are times when I direct my prayers towards my Mother in heaven simply because I feel that a women's comfort and insight would be more appropriate and comforting with. I'm going to try to do this more often as well, thanks for the reminder.

Marilyn said...

Thanks Sandy, truly beautiful. I think we address our prayers to Heavenly Father because the Savior did. Love you, grandma

Julie said...

It's a whole new rhelm thinking that there is another God(ess) up there that loves us just as Heavenly Father does. I have always known this deep down and there have been times when I have poured my heart out to Her. I stop short saying I pray to Her, but then I have to ask myself, why? Is she not smart enough? Is she not empathetic enough, is she not strong enough? Does she defer to Her husband when Her children are in need? I revere Her, I love Her. I know her to be just as magnificent as Her husband and you would think she'd be as involved as Him. As mothers, we know that we couldn't be persuaded from interacting or protecting our children. It is as natural and needful as drawing the next breath. In my mind it is not disrespectful to seek a relationship with Her. What a monumental WASTE to not know her! I want to be like HER.
I'm very, very careful who I share these feelings with just as I don't talk about H.F. openly with most people. I don't feel the need to convince anyone of anything on this subject.

Jennefer said...

Thanks for speaking up about this important topic. Next time I get asked to speak in church I am going to try to bring some of this up. I have an idea maybe I should write up some talks on topics that need to be discussed - post them on my blog - or make a new blog for them- and then use them later as needed. Hmmm...if I only had the time.

DrFlynnDMD said...

I have always talked to her since I was a child, no in formal prayer, but in quiet conversation usually while hiking or pondering the the mountains and outdoors.

I don't think it is a question of is she strong enough, but are our leaders strong enough to have a women filled with priesthood and authority over them? It kinda unravels their patriarchy supremacy and over inflated sense of male importance or uniqueness.

Tiffany said...

Oh how I love how you think. Thank you for sharing this. I wish more gospel doctrine teachers were like you. And I really might have to be a visitor one of these times you teach!

Krissy Noel said...

If we have a father in heaven it only makes sense that we have a mother also. I have always felt that there is a Heavenly Mother, but admit I haven't thought much of her, most likely because she is never discussed. It saddens me that I haven't been wise enough to truly make a conscious effort to think solely of her and all she has undoubtedly done for me. It only makes sense to me that the way to gain a greater relationship with her is to specifically at times pray to her as well, just as I do to Heavenly Father. I can't find the harm in that. I agree with other comments that there have been specific things in my own life where a mother can help and comfort more than anyone else here on earth. I think the same is true with our Heavenly Mother. Great thoughts.