Friday, June 14, 2013

Summer time

The last week of school was action packed and then we were hurled into a very quickly moving summer.  Me and the girls went to the Taylor Swift concert, Christian started his training as a CNA (nursing assistant), we took a trip to the Homestead in Heber which was sublime, the kids have slept on the trampoline every night this week, Robert has had a campout with the Young Men, and I've been busy with photo projects, reading, running/exercising, lunch dates, and fun with the kids.  For my friend's birthday this week, a group of us drove to the Bountiful Temple at 5am and ran all the way to Farmington which was about 10 miles.  I love my neighborhood and am so grateful to have such wise, wonderful friends.  I'm proud to say I have one week of summer under my belt and my sanity is in tact!  I have to say it makes a big difference to have older kids that can help with the younger ones.  Also, a schedule or plan each day helps me feel more in control which contributes to my happiness.  Today I dropped off Madison and Ashton for 3 hours at Station Park with $10 and they got ice cream, played in the fountains, ate samples at the grocery store, bought Madison some makeup, and Ashton a small Lego toy.  They had fun and I had peace and quiet.  We also have a chart set up that requires them to do 30 minutes of reading per day, clean their rooms and do one added chore, and trade off taking care of Ashton.  They also have an hour of quiet time which means they can rest, read, do a quiet activity or play outside.  I'm sure this will all run smoothly until about mid July and then it will all be downhill from there like it always is.  I really do enjoy the company of my children, which is saying a lot coming from an introvert like myself that relishes when things are calm and organized, because quite frequently it is not like that.  During the summer, Robert and I also go out twice a week instead of the usual once per week.  It is usually something very simple, even just taking a walk and then getting an ice cream.  I find it really helps my sanity to spend time just with him on a more frequent basis when the kids are all home most of the day.  We are looking forward to multiple camps for the kids with church and with soccer for Hunter.  We are having a mini-reunion in Deer Valley when Robert's sister comes into town in July, and we have a California trip planned for August.  I am trying very hard to breathe deeply and enjoy each moment, knowing how fast my children are growing up.  One more year and Christian will be graduated!  Say it isn't so!!!  This morning I woke up to the sound of the lawnmower.  It was 8am and Madison and Hunter had decided to get a head start on their chores for the day without having to be asked.  Madison had already been up at 7 to put the neighborhood flags out for Flag Day before starting the lawn.  What amazing children I have.  I don't like when other people brag about their kids, so I'll stop now.  :)

Me and my girls before the Taylor Swift concert

We had awesome seats!

Christian hikes to Flag Rock on the last day of school.

Last day of school.  My oldest and youngest at the park.

Christian practicing his stethoscope skills from his CNA course on Ashton for Family Night.

Hunter at 6th grade graduation with his teacher.

E and A getting along at the Homestead.

Cool bridge we stopped to take pictures at.

Puppy love.

Handstand contest.

Cuddles with Mads and Ash.

Climbing trees for fun.

Lots of swimming.


Mugging for the camera
???


Jazzy enjoying the car ride.
Cute Ashton

Elisabeth and Calyn sledding down the hill in front of our house.





5 comments:

Jennefer said...

That is a great idea to structure and plan your days and your kids days over the summer. My personal plan is to completely stop cleaning and make my kids do it all. I am sure that will workout excellently. Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Life's New Adventures at home said...

Oh the joys of summer. Just to be on a schedule without having someone else dictate that schedule is what I liked about summers. If I wanted to take the kids somewhere for the day I could. If we wanted to be lazy and stay up late and then get up late that's okay too. You have a good plan to enjoy your summer and a good outlook too. Enjoy! Loved the pictures.

Tiffany said...

Love your perspective. I, like you feel encouraged about it thus far. I have the same thing happen by the end of July too...

Let's get a lunch date scheduled. This week is out, but next?!?

Krissy Noel said...

You have already done SO much this summer and it's only been a week! aye yi yi!! You capture the essence of a carefree summer perfectly!

DrFlynnDMD said...

I love reading your blog, it reminds me what a wonderful life, wife and family I have. You are all so amazing. It's going to be a great summer!