Friday, March 22, 2013

Worn Out

Lately I have been feeling just plain worn out and completely unmotivated when it comes to parenting. It could be partially because Ashton recently had a bad case of E.Coli for 7 days, or it could just be the cumulative years of raising 5 kids and their never-ending needs that is getting to me.  So in an attempt to find the humor in my current status, I thought I would write a series of too-true statements for your entertainment and my release of some stress.

You Know Your Worn Out When. . .

You choose to hop over the sticky spots on the kitchen floor instead of clean them up.  You look like you are playing a mean game of hopscotch every time you enter the kitchen.  Denial--ain't it great?

It takes all of your energy to quickly get yourself ready for the day and do the breakfast dishes before your children walk in the door at 3:30.

Your dog poohs on the floor and instead of being mad, you're just glad she decided to eat it so you don't have to clean it up.  Ewwww.

Your children are gone for 7 hours of the day, yet when they walk in the door and begin hammering you with questions and requests, you soon feel you need a break from them.

You realize you have participated in a 20 minute conversation with one of your younger children and have no idea what they were talking about because you have mastered the art of peppering the conversation with the appropriate comments such as, "Really?" and "Uh huh", "That's great!", and "You're amazing!"

Your husband suggests having someone come in to help you get on top of the cleaning, but alas, you realize that house is just too messy to have someone stoop to that level.

You realize you have absolutely NO privacy.  This includes the bathroom, your bedroom, and your closet, and you don't even put up a fight about it.  You have officially accepted it.

You feel slightly put out that your children need to be fed 3 whole times a day.

You choose to not even ask if a certain child has done what you asked them to do because you dread having to follow through with consequences if they haven't.

Your child is quietly playing nicely and you must be absolutely stealth while walking through the house because if they hear you, they might want to interact with you, and you just can't.

You are considering not taking a 40th birthday trip with your husband because it's just so hard to do everything you would need to do to leave the house and children for an extended amount of time.

Your children and husband do a double take when you get all the way ready for the day on Sunday. "You look different, Mama!"

You realize that you can't give up caffeine because even with 8 hours of sleep at night, and an hour nap during the day, you are still dragging.

You are secretly relieved when a couple of children choose to give up on the lessons they were taking because now you don't have to drive them anywhere or force them to practice.  YIPEE!

Your child starts to throw up and you hold out your hands to catch it because you're no where near the toilet. You know that this means you will now probably get the flu, but the idea is slightly thrilling since maybe, just maybe you can be sick and they will leave you alone for a day.

When going grocery shopping alone is considered "Me time."

You desperately need time away so you suggest to your husband that you both drive a child to their lesson to escape the others still at home to finally have some private time talking in the car.  We actually did this last night.

Your child's teacher calls to discuss a certain child's need for drama in the classroom and your response is, "Yep.  I don't doubt that."

BUT. . .

Here are some good things happening around here as well:
*Christian took first at a state science competition and will now be going to Nationals in Tennessee this June.  He is applying for a research position at the U of U for the summer.
*Madison is participating in track and trying out for cheerleading.
*Hunter was selected to be featured as dancer of the month (for hip hop) again and featured on their website and dance magazine cover.  He is also taking guitar lessons with Robert.
*Elisabeth is taking cheerleading with her favorite cousin, Sierra and loves it and is excelling at school.
*Ashton is starting soccer soon and is one of the top students in his class in math and reading.
*We just booked a family trip to Southern California in August and are looking forward to our 1st ever RV trip to Southern Utah with some friends.

Yep, Life is still good.


6 comments:

Krissy Noel said...

Oh this made me laugh! I've got so much to look forward to! I can relate to some of them, namely my dog eating her pooh (clearly they are related and it runs in the family), and the considering my "me time" as going to the grocery store alone, which is a rare occurrence. I'm so proud of Christian. He really is such a scholar. I admire how disciplined and mature he is for his age. I'm also excited for you to go on your trip that sounds like so much fun!!

Marilyn said...

Sandy..you make my day. So funny, I remember those feelings. Your children are all so perfect, you are doing all things right. I must call Christian today. What a man.

Jennefer said...

I have been there. Some of the things that I try to do to help with this: The kids must clean the kitchen every night while I sip hot cocoa and direct; My kids are only allowed one lesson per person (guitar- Adam, soccer- Conner, karate- Brook); Brook goes to an after-school homework club and doesn't get done until 6:30PM; housekeepers come only once a month so a day before they come it forces me to clean to an appropriate level for housekeepers which means I only must declutter once a month; I make repetitive and simple meals only and we go out to eat 3 nights a week; Mike makes any treats we eat at home; The kids eat school lunch and make their own food on Saturdays; I tell Brook I read all of her homework (she brings home for me to see) in my mind; I have often fantasized in the past about getting sick so I could have a break - I used to fantasize about going to prison, but my kids are not very demanding anymore so I have lost my instant internal vacations that I used to take whenever I closed my eyes for a second. You are worn out because you are a very devoted and involved mom.

Tiffany said...

Oh I LOVE everything about this post. Everything. But I seriously think you should get a housekeeper AND take the 40th birthday trip. Do it!!!! Believe me, I would if I could.

I agree with the other commentor: you are worn out because you are a VERY devoted and involved mom. You are fabulous. Really you are.
xx

DrFlynnDMD said...

I think we all feel overwhelmed or overly bombarded at times and I think we all get into repetitive ruts. It's good and healthy to 'check out' occasionally or mix life up and take some 'me' time.

Your the best. I so love you!

Alison Woods said...

Ha, ha! So true! I'm glad I don't have a dog and that I have a house keeper come every week. Dave and I are taking a trip away together next month and I'm getting anxious about how much work it will entail to get away.