Tuesday, March 26, 2013

An Occasional Grown Up

ME
Sometimes I get this overwhelming feeling that I am a child masquerading in an adult's body, and I wonder if I am alone in this notion or if other adults occasionally feel like this as well.  At any moment it seems I will wake up and realize my adult life is just the dream of a child, of a future not yet realized.  Usually I get this feeling when I am pushed out of my comfort zone for some reason or another, or when I feel overwhelmed.  I also admit to feeling like my children are all aging, but somehow I am not.  Part of me is still surprised when someone refers to me as "Ma'am" instead of "Miss" or when I go to events where there are teenagers and I realize I am more than a couple of years older than them.  At the same time, when I do feel "grown up", I feel a lot more confidence in my adult-ness than I used to.  I am a walking contradiction, a paradox, if you will.  It's either one extreme or the other; a grown-up mature adult, or a child trapped in an adult's body way out of her league with problems and responsibilities.

One thing I enjoy in my moments of full-fledged adulthood, is relishing in my new found ability to say "No" to things with very little guilt.  As a matter of fact, I've gotten really good at it!  I have also noticed that in general, adulthood has led me to a life of much less guilt in just about every area of my life.  I like being an adult because I feel empowered to create the life I feel is best for me and my children, and I'm not so much at the whim of other's opinions and feelings about my life.  I feel mature when I am faced with a problem, and I am able to solve it, or it least turn it around into a better situation.  I feel like a grown up when I am on top of the details and responsibilities in my life.  When I am able to help someone, I feel proud to be the adult version of me.

I feel like I'm a child, in way over my head when my children have problems that can't be solved in a short period of time or when I can't wrap my head around an immediate solution.  When I must speak in front of groups of people, the shy and insecure child in me comes out and I wish I could hide behind someone's leg, or run home to be alone.  When someone questions my core values or intentions, I feel vulnerable like a child again.  I feel like I'm young again when it rains and when it's Halloween.  When I am in nature, when I exert myself physically, when I am with friends or with Robert, I feel much younger than my age.  I suppose there are times when I enjoy feeling like a child again, like when I am acting silly or inappropriate for my age, and then there are times when I don't delight in feeling like a child because I feel helpless and not heard or understood.

I wonder if I will always feel this contradiction in ages within me, or if eventually the adult will win out.  Or maybe, instead of the two displaying themselves like a multiple personality disorder, the two will integrate, and instead of being one or the other extreme, I will turn into a mature adult who also embraces the joy of having a child inside.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is a very interesting perspective. I'm not sure I'm familiar with it, although I often feel like I am still a "young adult" and then forget I'm not.

(Example, when I'm around missionaries sometimes I consider myself of around there same age in life, and then gasp when I realize quite often, I'm old enough to be their mother.)

I love your deep thoughts on personhood, motherhood, and life in general.

Alison Woods said...

Such a cute picture! I can't so no without feeling guilty. I so want to change that. And I HATE it when people call me Ma'am. I'm NOT that old!

Jennefer said...

I feel that being at home and out of the work force can make us feel stuck in the past, but I don't know how much that matters. Is it good to feel old and mature? Maybe sometimes. Maybe when you want others to listen to you and take you seriously. Other times feeling young is better.

Nat101 said...

Oh Sandra, you always manage to say what is on my mind! I actually go through this a lot. The funny thing is I sort of attributed it to having so many older siblings, but your the oldest in your family so maybe that's not it. I usually feel it when I'm in unfamiliar territory. It's definetly a confidence issue. When I'm on familiar ground or when talking about something I have a lot of knowledge about then I feel grown up regardless of the audience. It does kind of make you wonder if your mom ever felt this way, super weird to think.

Life's New Adventures at home said...

I thought I'd speak for the older mature aged people. I know that my spirit has to be a lot younger than I am now because I don't feel (in spirit anyway) old. I too forget that I'm old enough to be the missionaries grandmother and when I'm in the work place I think what are these children doing driving and working. I'm glad that my spirit stays young. As I looked at your RV pictures I thought yeah, I like doing that too, I like to climb rocks and explore the outdoors even when my aging body says to slow down. I hate slowing down, infact I think that is the problem with us "old folks" is that we think we are too old to do the things that we used to like to do or that we always wanted to do. This gives me some ideas of what I'm going to do when I grow up. Thanks!