Thursday, December 8, 2011

Just the two youngest peanuts

I highly recommend taking short trips with one or two children at a time as well as trips with the whole family if you ever have the opportunity.  We just got back from a 4 day trip to California with the two youngest kids, Elisabeth and Ashton, and had a wonderful time.  Often times, the older kids naturally get more attention because their needs seem more pressing, and maybe they don't express their needs as well as the older kids.  I was feeling like the younger kids were kind of getting lost in the shuffle, and also getting a lot of negative feedback from Robert and I because they are so difficult for us right now.  So I wanted to have some carefree time with just them where all of our positive attention was focused on them.  I really saw a big difference in their behavior for these 4 days.  We got there Saturday afternoon and went to the Children's Discovery Center in Orange County.  They had an awesome display of the original costumes and models used in the making of the Star Wars movies.  We also went to see the new Muppet Movie which was way cute and innocent.  On Sunday, we headed to Newport Beach and spent the day.  It was 75 degrees and sunny.  It was a spectacular day to spend at the beach.  The kids frolicked on the beach while Robert and I laid on a blanket and watched.  It was incredibly enjoyable.  On Monday, we ventured out to Disneyland.  We agreed that we would pay attention to the kids' cues and not overstay the day there.  It was fairly windy and cooler, but still very sunny and the lines were short.  I was surprised that their favorite rides were the scary roller coaster ones that I have never liked.  Their favorites were Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, The Haunted Mansion, and of course Pirates of the Caribbean.  We left for Disneyland at 9am and were back to our hotel around 4pm.  It was a perfect day for them, and for us.  The next day was our day to leave, but we decided to squeeze in a short trip to Hollywood before we headed to the airport.  We went straight to Grauman's Chinese Theater to see the Hollywood Walk of Fame nearby as well as the stars' handprints.  Then we went and got some pictures of the Hollywood sign for Madison since she is so enamored with being famous.  We had such a good time and as a side note, Robert and I got to celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary a little early since part of our honeymoon was going to Disneyland.  I was so happy to get home to my other munchkins who, from what I hear, were very well behaved and independent which makes me proud and happy that they are learning to take care of themselves.

Here are some pictures from our trip:

So cool to see the original things used in the Star Wars movies!


A real bed of nails! 





My handsome Robert






There was hardly anyone there but us!





Me and Peaches, taken by Elisabeth



I loved how everything was decorated for Christmas

You can't tell, but Ashton is BURSTING with excitement

Me and Liv on the Winnie the Pooh ride

Even Cinderella's castle was decorated for Christmas

Loved this play house in Toon Town

E. had this cool hood on her jacket I thought I would try and get a picture of.  Love it.

Robert putting his hands in Matt Damon's handprints 


Me touching the Twilight stars handprints  (boy was I excited) 


5 comments:

Krissy Noel said...

Looks like you guys had a blast! I do think that was a great idea to take the two younger ones. The other three kids were perfect angels to watch and of course Jazzy Jemimah was also! Love that picture of E in her hoodie.

Leah Kitzmiller said...

Love all those pictures!!! Especially the ones of you and Robert!!!

Tiffany said...

Mike wants to do this very thing with our two middle kids. I keep thinking, "Oh, but the other kids would love it too", but after reading this I think you really have me convinced. My middle two NEED the extra attention right now. It is so true about them getting lost in shuffle!!

I LOVED when I went to DC with just my oldest two last Spring--it was so enjoyable!

Julie said...

Loolks like everyone had a lot of fun. I loved all the pictures! And your oldest 3 did just fine without you.

Juliann said...

Absolutely love this idea. How fun to give them such specialized attention like that. I recently took just Anna to a concert, just the two of us; I think spending focused time like that is so important. Looks like you had so much fun!