Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Family That PLAYS Together

I once heard a twist on the saying, "The family that prays together, stays together" which was "The family that PLAYS together, stays together."  Of course our family tries to have daily prayers together, but I don't think that importance of fun together should be underestimated.  Life is DIFFICULT and incredibly unpredictable and having wonderful, happy memories to draw from can really help lighten your burden.  This weekend, we went to my grandparents cabin which I have been doing since I was about 15.  At night, we played a lot of games (which I usually have to force myself to do) and laughed A LOT.  Seeing Ashton trying to act out something for charades was priceless.  No matter what we guessed on our first guess, he said, "You're right!"  He was so very proud of himself.  We had an amazing Sunday service near a waterfall where each of the kids were told they had to come up with their own talk.  It was so sweet and touching to hear each of their individual insights.  There were several moments during our weekend--perfect moments--the kind where you almost don't want to breathe because the distraction might end it.  I made sure that I took many mental pictures so that I would never forget how perfect moments feel.  If you were to eavesdrop on our family, it would be LOUD, animated, there would be power struggles and fights, but there would also be lots of fun, happiness, and laughter.  Family.  There's just nothing quite as splendid.


Yellow flowers everywhere!


Robert introducing Jazzy to the horses

"Our tree"  where we carved our names when
we were 18, and where Robert later proposed



"The Rock" right before the hike to
"Yellow Lake"


Robert, very proud of his burnt marshmallow that looks
more like a hideous tumor

Brothers

Hunter spotted this butterfly and wanted
me to take a picture.

The absolute GLEE over seeing a horse poo

Trying to get a picture of all 5 kids smiling can be torture.
Notice Ashton refusing to smile--just because we wanted him to.

Wild flowers


Love the missing tooth smile

The owner came out and let us feed her horses gingersnap cookies

Ashton never gets enough of throwing rocks in the river

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

It is so vital to incorporate fun into our lives. Why is that too easy to forget sometimes? Love your photos (and writing).

DrFlynnDMD said...

What I love about photography and scrapbooks is that it makes the events you lived through seem way better than you remember them being! I also love seeing expressions frozen in time, because with kids sometimes you only get a second and their gone. I especially love the one of Elisabeth and Ashton's exhilaration watching the horse take a dump!

Strong Family said...

I couldn't agree more! I remember those times most of all from my childhood. Makes me forget all the times my siblings and I fought.

Julie said...

I's so glad you went. It's hard to pack up and get there, but oh so worth it. Love that picture of Elisabeth with her missing tooth. Spectacular of them all.