Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It Takes a Village

Do you ever think about each one of your children and wonder, how did I get such wonderful children?!  Of course if I'm being honest, there have also been occasions that I have wished I could kick each one of them to the moon, but overall I really can't believe what amazing little people I have been blessed with.

Sunday at church, Christian bore his testimony in sacrament meeting.  It was heartfelt and profound for someone of his age.  He also received a 4.0 this term.  Christian disappears into his room to study at 3:15pm, and I don't usually see him again (except for dinner) until 10pm when he says goodnight.  He is very disciplined and self-motivated and a wonderful example to his siblings.  I often tell him, "You make me look good!"  and we both laugh because we know that it is all because of his efforts.

Yesterday was parent/teacher conferences at school.  Madison is in a 5th and 6th grade combined class of 60 students.  Her teachers say that she is by far the hardest worker in the class and because of this, was chosen to have lunch with the Mayor.  Madison struggles in a few areas academically, but I couldn't be more proud of her perseverance and extremely hard work even though there are things that are very cumbersome for her.  She also loves to be around me which I am so thankful for, and I am hoping that this continues in the future because she is quickly moving into her teenage years.

My little Huntie, who is 9, just finished reading the Book of Mormon from cover to cover.  Wow.  I don't think I did that for the first time until college!  It was kind of funny because the morning after he finished it, he got out the scripture readers for young children and proclaimed, "Now I'm going to learn what I read about!"  Hunter enjoys his time by himself like me, and I appreciate his peaceful and calm nature.

Elisabeth has been recognized at school for her incredible story writing as well as her amazing art work.  On Saturday, we went on a date to Bird World in Bountiful which is one of her favorite places to go because they have lots of puppies there and they always let her hold one.  She is such an animal lover!  Every story she writes or picture she draws has animals in it.  I couldn't help but laugh the other day when I realized that EVERY teacher and administrator at her school refers to her as "Tigerdog".

Ashton.  I'm not going to lie--this boy is a strong-willed little handful and sometimes I wonder if he even likes me.  He is such a bear in the morning, that we each argue whose turn it is to wake him for the day.  But he is an avid talker and I can't help but admire his strong opinions and extreme determination to do things HIMSELF (even if it kills us both).  He loves to wear one glove and his shark pajamas all day.  I enjoy spending time alone with him each day, watching him proudly ride his bike or point out all of the tiny crawling creatures I never would have noticed on our walk, had he not pointed them out.  He makes me find joy in the simple things.

I have been very mindful of the fact that to raise children, it truly takes a village.  There are so many wonderful people that are helping me raise my children and I am so incredibly thankful because I definitely could not do it myself.  I was grateful for my church as I sat beside Madison at Young Women's Conference and they taught her such vital things as virtue, honesty, and benevolence.  I was also thankful for my church when Christian bore his testimony inspired by a challenge given by his teacher's quorum advisors.  My children also have wonderful grandparents that show interest in their lives and are willing to come to their important events or take care of them occasionally.  They have also been blessed with great teachers at school--teachers who really take an interest in them.  As proud as I am of my children, I acknowledge that there are many people that are helping them along the way.  So thank you!

6 comments:

Julie said...

It was interesting that you wrote your post at 5:55 A.M. You have long days. Each of the kids are so different and unique and you do a fabulous job of developing their talents. I am so proud of the fabulous mother that you have become and realize that you have far surpassed me. I have to consciously tell myself that this is okay, otherwise I would feel sub par. You absolutely need to be an editor and/or photographer of the ensign

Tiffany said...

I really enjoyed reading that. Your kids sound like fabulous little people. And though I firmly believe that children come with a lot of their strengths, personality and unique talents already in place--having a great mother like you must surely be credited too! I believe that is one of the great purposes of a mother--to bring all those strengths and talents to the surface and help them avenue them correctly.

You continue to amaze me with your strengths. You are a great mother Sandra!

PS-I love what your mother said, that is a sign of a confident woman-- that she can be happy that one generation can be better than the last. I have no problem with hoping my daughters will be better than me. (Shouldn't be hard!?!)

Krissy Noel said...

I love each and every one of your children and their unique abilities. You and Robert are amazing parents. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree!! I'm a true believer in that saying!!

DrFlynnDMD said...

I find myself surrounded by amazing kids and a fabulous wonderful wife. How did mediocre me get so blessed?

Julie said...

Robert, mediocre has never been a part of who you are.

Life's New Adventures at home said...

You've gotten lots of comments and I just want to say how much we love your children and you two. You strive to live the gospel of Jesus Christ everyday of your life. You teach your children true principles that will give them a firm foundation for happiness. You look for and promote the good, the uniqueness and the creativity in each child. They are so blessed to have parents like you two. And neither of you two are mediocre. You are choice children of our Heavenly Father and have been saved for these latter days to raise the finest generation of children and grandchildren ever.