Thursday, October 21, 2010

Seize the Day

My life has totally change since school has started for the kids.  Three times a week, I have 2 1/2 hours to myself.  Usually I spend this time cleaning the house, grocery shopping, doing laundry, running errands, or exercising.  But this week, I've done something I've never done before and I feel a little guilty about it, but I'm just going to say it; I enjoyed myself.  That's right.  On TWO days this week, I did nothing for my kids, or for the house.  Here are my adventures:

On Tuesdays, Robert normally doesn't work.  But I usually don't see him much because he fills his time doing work-related things such as taking care of our rental properties, or getting the financial statements up to date.  Instead of working, we decided to get the camera and walk all through beautiful downtown Farmington, taking pictures of gorgeous old maple trees and charming houses built in the 1800s.  The day was spectacular.  We even stopped at this Italian bakery that we had never been to before and the baker was just taking fresh bread out of the oven.  We of course had to buy some and it was heavenly.  There really is no one I'd rather spend my time with than Robert.


This year, I have done a lot of hiking.  For me, the outdoors is healing, cathartic, peaceful, spiritual, and the place where I feel most at home.  About a week ago, Robert and I tried to hike up to Flag Rock in Farmington because my sister Kristen had done it, but somewhere along the way, we got off the trail and ended up scaling the mountain holding onto roots so as not to slide down the mountain.  Well, there's nothing that gives me more determination than being thwarted in my efforts to do something.  So today, instead of doing dishes, laundry, etc. I decided to make it to the top of Flag Rock, come hell or high water.  It was very steep and I took a couple of wrong turns, but I made it!  The whole mountain was red and orange with leaves and when I got to the top, I could see from Ogden down to Point of the Mountain.  It was just me at the very top, with the only sound being the flag flapping in the wind.



Here are some pictures from my adventures:
(the ones from my hike were taken by my phone, so quality is lower)



old Farmington
Who wouldn't want this to be their window??

Hike picture--a tunnel of leaves

I want this tree--and tire swing.
And I MADE it!!



Nearing the top--incredible views





I would love to go back in time to when this was planted.
Sun coming up to warm me.
Older homes have so much character.

4 comments:

Krissy Noel said...

Absolutely gorgeous. Fall automatically makes everything prettier. I love that tunnel of trees. It is very calming being up above all the commotion and the only thing you hear is that flag flapping in the wind. So glad you were able to find the trail, and we'll have to hit it up soon before the snow falls!!! I have next Tuesday and Wednesday off, so lets plan on it!!

Alison Woods said...

Good for you, taking time for yourself! Beautiful pictures!

Julie said...

Those pictures of the fall colors and quaint little houses are so beautiful. Glad you caan now take time to relax just a little... you deserve it!

Juliann said...

Sandy I'm so glad that you are having some time to yourself. For heavens sake, you've been waiting for what, 15 YEARS?!?!?! I feel the same as you in some ways. I have more time than I ever have (at least until January when I go back to school). By the way, I love your new family picture on your blog. Kristen did an excellent job! :)