Thursday, November 20, 2008

Pay Day











Today was one of those big paydays your kids give you that can sometimes be few and far between.  This morning, Christian received an award called the Presidential Leadership & Citizenship Award.  Since he is my first child to enter Junior High, and since he is frequently recognized for his academic accomplishments, I really had no idea that this was such a big deal.  One boy and one girl from 7-9th grade were honored and they had to be nominated by all of their teachers to receive this award.  The teacher that presented Christian with his award said things like how incredibly positive and happy he was and how he was always looking out for others and trying to help his peers understand their assignments.  
     I couldn't help but reflect on the journey that I had been on with Christian that led to this point.  Christian, my precious first, was such a trial in the beginning!  He screamed  all day, everyday until he was about 4.  He was rarely happy and always frustrated.  He was always overwhelmed in group settings and his preschool teacher recommended he be held back and not start kindergarten because of his lack of social skills.  Could this be the same child that was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder just 2 years ago?!  The same child that was being recognized today for being such a happy and positive influence on others and having such an impact on his peers?  I had such a hard time not tearing up, but I tried my best not to embarrass him.  My Dad was able to come too, and that meant such much to the both of us!  As much as I would like to think it was partially me that brought him to this point, I know it wasn't (okay, maybe a little!).  It is the nobility of Christian's spirit, his obedience to the commandments of God, and in return, Heavenly Father's blessings being poured out on him. So next time I am in the car with Ashton crying, Elisabeth screaming for something, Madison and Hunter fighting, and Christian yelling at them all to stop, I will be able to pull from this great experience today and know that it IS all worth it.  So, thank you Christian, and thank you Heavenly Father for this wonderful "payday"!

I've attached some pictures of Christian through the years!

4 comments:

Alison Woods said...

What a bright, beautiful boy he is! Congrats! You've done a good job raising him!

Amy Evensen said...

Sandy that is so awesome! I can't believe how grown up he is. You are such a wonderful mother and I am happy that you got your "pay day" Congrats!

Rebecca or Britton Curtis said...

That is so wonderful about Christian. I had a hard time not tearing up myself. What a truly wonderful payday. Those moments do make it all worth it! Good for sweet boy, Christian! xoxox

Carolyn Flynn said...

That's so precious! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations to Christian how wonderful to be acknowledge for the great person he is. Lots of love!