Sunday, November 2, 2008

"Finding Joy in the Journey"






Today our Relief Society lesson was on President Monson's talk from last conference, entitled "Finding Joy in the Journey."  I loved it the first time I heard it on conference Sunday, and I loved it even more today.  Here is one of the quotes I liked best, 
         "Both abundance and lack of abundance exist simultaneously in our lives, as parallel realities.  It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend . . . when we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that's present--love, health, family, friends, work, the joys of nature, and personal pursuits that bring us happiness--the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience heaven on earth."
        This has special significance to me because ever since college, when I had my nervous breakdown and had to drop out, I have been striving to change from a pessimistic perfectionist who was never satisfied, to a person who can find the 'silver lining' in any situation.  I will always be grateful for this "breakdown" because it really forced me to put my life under a microscope and learn WHAT exactly had gotten me to that point.  This is when I realized that I could control how I viewed everything that happened to me.  
       Robert's family has really been a great example of this over the years.  At first, it was perplexing behavior to me because I was so unfamiliar with it, but through the years, I have learned to admire it and embrace it.  One example of this is my sister-in-law Natalie.  I remember one night, about 2 years ago, we had gone to a temple session together and we were riding home, discussing everything going on in our lives.  For those of you who don't know, she has a daughter named  Sierra who was born with a congenital heart defect and had already had open-heart surgery.  Natalie had just learned that her precious 2 year old would most likely have to have a heart transplant.  Natalie had the most upbeat, positive attitude! Instead of feeling sorry for herself, she is always expressing gratitude for doctors and medical technologies that can help her daughter and for the opportunity she had to raise this little girl.  This example has really changed my life for the better.
     President Monson also pleads with us to " . . . not let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and non-existent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do.  Instead, find joy in the journey--NOW."
     I think children are particularly gifted in enjoying the moment.  I am so thankful for my 5 beautiful children that help me live in the moment each day.  

3 comments:

Jennefer said...

What a pretty blog! I can't believe you are starting a blog. What a great way to keep up on your family... Now go get upbeat Natalie to become a slave to her computer as we have.

Juliann said...

Ah, Sandy. It's about time I could glean from your wonderful words of wisdom. Keep it up.

Amy Evensen said...

Sandy, this is a beautiful blog! You are all so beautiful! Seriously! I am glad that you started a blog! It is so fun to see everyone being so far away. I am adding you to my list if that is ok!!!