Monday, May 28, 2012

Simplistic sayings that drive me NUTS

There are a few simplistic sayings that drive me absolutely NUTS, and so I thought I would write about them. ( I am hoping not to offend anyone by my take on things).

"It'll all work out in the hereafter."  Oh just stop it!  No one could possibly know this and anyone that says this is really saying in code, "I don't want to think about it," or "I think I'll procrastinate the emotional distress of having to deal with that until the next life" or my personal favorite, "It's not me actually going through whatever it is I am commenting on, so I am sure it will all work out for YOU in the hereafter, meanwhile, BOY am I glad I don't have to deal with that!"  What we should really be saying instead of lying to ourselves and each other is I DON'T KNOW.

People quoting Jesus as saying, "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it."  I realize that this saying can be very soothing in times of trial, but I don't like people making up quotes that God says.  It leads to a misguided view of who God really is, and perpetuates the idea that EVERYTHING difficult we go through is worth it, when maybe it just isn't.  We HOPE it is worth it, and have FAITH that it is all worth it, but I do not think that God or Jesus actually said this, although I wish they would.

Everything happens for a reason.  I could go on and on about this one.  Really?  The holocaust happened for a reason?  Millions of people are starving for a reason?  People are raped, kidnapped, and abused for a reason?  People can perhaps find solace in their suffering by choosing how they respond to their trials but I don't believe everything that happens to us was meant to happen.  We can make the most out of what we go through and perhaps find purpose in our lives by choosing to grow from a hardship, but I reject the notion that everything happens for a reason.  It is most offensive when this phrase is used by a person not actually going through the specific trial, to a person that is.  Or on second thought, maybe everything does happen for a reason, but the reason is because of stupidity on the part of another, or because of natural laws of living in an imperfect world, not because of some mystical or spiritual reason.  Some things may happen for a specific purpose, but it is probably only for the actual person going through the trial to determine this and is certainly the exception and not the rule. (in my opinion)

"God doesn't make mistakes."  What do people mean when they say this?!  There is a never ending array of maladies, physical, mental, and emotional that people are born with.  God allows all of this to happen, which I don't think necessarily means He wanted it to happen or didn't want it to happen.  They are for the most part errors in the formation of the body with it's complex makeup of hormones, chemicals, and processes.  Of course He is aware of all of this, but most of the time, He doesn't step in to prevent things from happening.  The opposite point of view is not true either; that everything that happens is God orchestrating it from heaven.  I know a lady who says that everyday when simple things happen to her like sitting at a traffic light for a long time, or forgetting something she was supposed to do, is all God trying to teach her something.  While I admire her energy in thinking that everything that happens to her, even the most minute occurrence, has a direct meaning from God, I just cannot accept this as my own perspective.

God doesn't give us more than we can handle.   I think the scripture that this is mistakenly taken from is  found in Alma 13:28-- "But that ye would humble yourselves before the Lord . . . that ye may not be tempted above that which ye can bear . . . "  I don't think it says anywhere in the scriptures that God doesn't give us more than we can handle, because I know lots of people that are given waaaay more than they can handle and it has led to drug addiction, attempted suicide, bouts of deep depression, and visits to the psych ward--all good people who pray for strength.  Sometimes our trials are compounded by the poor choices of others, or because of our own poor choices.  No need to blame either of these on God choosing to give us trials.

All things we persist in doing, get easier.  The things that I really struggle with like public speaking for example, NEVER EVER get easier no matter how much I force myself to do them.  It simply isn't true for me, and I get tired of hearing that this is true in all cases.

On another note, I was in someone's house recently and saw this picture of Jesus displayed on their wall.  I just about died.  I didn't know whether to laugh or be absolutely horrified.  Now I know that everyone has a different view on the nature of Jesus, but open-mouth laughing hysterically with huge, white, orthodontically corrected teeth Jesus?!  No thank you.  And I am sorry if any of my readers have this picture in their own homes and love it.  ;)








5 comments:

MJ Kitzmiller said...

I agree with all of your comments. Simplistic, pat answers have never been enough for me. I also agree with your feelings on that picture of Christ. It actually is offensive to me. That's completely the antithesis of what I imagine him looking like!

Alison Woods said...

I have never seen that picture. Yes, very weird and just not right. I'm with you on those sayings.

DrFlynnDMD said...

Simple answers for a simple mind. How sweet it must feel to lack any real depth of thought! On the other hand if you don't dig deep you can't climb high. There is opposition in all things and all things have there diametrically opposed counterpart. True pain and suffering are contrasted with true joy and happiness. Those who avoid or dodge the former likewise will discover they never have the later (although, of course, they may never realize it)!

Krissy Noel said...

that picture is disturbing! love your thoughts.

Tiffany said...

Agree with pretty much everything you said. And that picture-is AWFUL. I don't like it one bit.