Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day




I love Valentine's Day. It's not because Robert goes all out by buying expensive gifts, because he doesn't. It's because I love decorating with pink, red, purple, and white hearts, making homemade cards with the kids, and baking fun Valentine's treats. I love the idea of celebrating the feelings we have for each other in our family. I have such fond memories of being in elementary school and making Valentine's boxes every year so that all my classmates could put cards and treats in my box. There seemed to always be a "secret admirer" who anonymously slipped something in my box and I loved trying to guess who it was. Since I loved this tradition so much, I started one with my kids where they decorate Valentine's sacks for themselves and put them out the night before Valentine's day and I put some sort of small present in each sack with a love letter from me. They also draw names and write what they love about each other. This has become the highlight of my day every year. It is so touching to see the sweet sentiments they come up with. Hunter, who is very reserved with his feelings wrote this to me:

"Dear Mama, thank you for all the things youv done for me. You are the best Mom anyone can have I wouldn't even trade you for $1,000,000,000,000 dollers. Have a great V. Day Love, Hunter" --So precious, especially coming from my Huntie.

This next one was from Christian to Madison: "Madison, You are truely an amazing person. I've seen you become a lovely young lady. You have such a kind heart and high values. You are beautiful, athletic, smart, talented, and are a beloved daughter of God. I love you so much. You are a shining example to me. I'm proud to call you my little sister. Love, Christian" --Wow!

And this one is a "Candy Gram" Christian received at school from an anonymous girl: "Thank you so much for keeping your standards and being who you are. I don't think you know who I am, but I love to watch you. After walking through the halls and hearing all sorts of vulgar things, it's amazing to walk into our 3 classes and see your bright eyes and handsome smile. I first fell for ya when you said you were going on a mission. Keep your standards and don't change!" Seriously, what could be a better pay off for a Mom than that?!

As I watch some women give and receive extravagant gifts for Valentine's Day, I am thankful that because of my Robert, all year feels like Valentine's Day. How I love the simple, heart-felt card he makes me every year out of construction paper and sweet words. How I love how he treats me every day.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

What great traditions. Those messages to each other are definitely keepers.

Carolyn said...

What a beautiful tradition. Homemade creations are always the best on holidays. What a wonderful experience you have created for you and your family. Lovely. Happy Valentine's

Ashley C. said...

I love Valentines day too. It is so fun. What a cute idea with your kids. I love it!!!

Julie said...

You have so many wonderful traditions in yourfamily- you make it all happen, Sandy!

Julie said...

Fun tradition! Love it. Treasures are being created!!! :)