Thursday, July 24, 2014

Ramblings and Maui

Summers are hard for me.  I wish I could be one of those moms that relished 3 months of long, hot summer days with her children, but I'm not.  I think one month of summer vacation would suffice.  The kids could have a nice long break, we could fit all of the regular summer activities into this month, easily, and their brains would not waste away for 2 more months, regressing in everything they had learned over the school year.  If summer was just one month, I could have enough stamina to be my own idea of an ideal mom where I had the energy to be happy, energetic, creative, interactive, and a good teacher.  Whereas now, being 2 months into summer, I try and think of errands I can run to get me the H out of here for a while.  I find myself daydreaming of the long lost days of the school year when we could be separated for the majority of the day and I could blame the few hours we had together during the day on the "sad" fact that the state requires them to be in school.  Then when they walked through the door after a long day, we could feel joyful at being reunited once more.  I could rejoice in the fact that none of them wanted to kill each other so obviously they are close and care deeply for each other, and that the house remained cleaner longer so I must be a really neat and organized person.  I really do love my children.  I think my stress during summer is due to the fact that I feel the need to structure it in order to survive and I don't like my children to resort to tv watching and sibling fighting to fill the time.  Although, by the end of the summer, I've been known to order them into some long, quality zoning out in front of the tv.  So what summer really feels like to me is homeschooling with field trips, lots of chores, workbooks, and lots of interaction with me, which for an introvert, is really difficult and taxing.  Also, my children are getting older and their interests are much more varied.  Ashton wants to go to the park or on water slides and Madison wants nothing to do with either of these things.  Hunter is a homebody, and Madison wants to not be at home as much as possible.  I feel much better equipped in dealing with a toddler throwing a temper tantrum than a moody teenager, and now I've got 2 teenagers, and two children who deal with ADD and anxiety, and THEY'RE ALL STRONG WILLED.  Heaven help me.  I think it is possible that I have a form of seasonal depression that I am sure I'm the only known case of, which is lots of sunshine and heat depresses me.  Yep.  If I woke up and the sun was shining on my face, I pretty much know it would be a rotten day.  If however, I woke up and it was overcast and rainy, the day would be sure to be amazing and happy.  I'm so weird.  One time, summer was just getting too dang long and encroaching on my favorite season which is Fall.  I revolted and wore a turtle neck even though I am sure the temperature was in the 80s, which was ridiculous since there was no way I was going to change the weather by my rebelliousness.  Add the fact that Christian left to college, which was an adjustment for me, and the fact that I have a teenage driver that drives me everywhere in order to get practice, and my nerves are shot.  Sometimes I feel like crying and rocking back and forth in the fetal position when I think that I have 4 teenagers I have to teach to drive.  I'm thinking that what I used to view as a high level of patience in older people, may be just a lot of broken souls who just don't care anymore--at least that's where I'm headed.  When I was younger, it seemed like I had long periods of time that were exciting and happy.  Or maybe it was that I had only an occasional bad day so I never really thought about happiness.  Now, it seems I have fleeting joyful moments--perfect morsels that I must choose to see and appreciate before they are gone again.  It's my crazy life, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Really.

A stop headed towards Hana
BUT,  one totally awesome thing we got to do this summer is go to Maui!  My goal was that before Christian went off to college, I wanted one last really memorable family trip.  It was such an adventure--mostly thanks to Robert who researched out the entire island and planned adventures for every day.  By the end, even the kids were worn out and couldn't keep up with him!  Here are some pictures:


Christian at the base of a 400 foot waterfall

Robert turns back into a kid when he's in the water.  I love it!



A beautiful Banyan tree

One of my favorite things: a hike through a bamboo forest.
Yes, I actually went on a zip line tour.  I embarrassed my whole family with my ferrel screams.

Little Ashton was way more brave than me!
Parasailing




Stomach muscles galore.


















Robert and Christian on one of their many early morning adventures.










The one and only picture you'll ever see of me in a bikini.  The only reason for it was it's my first bikini at age 40,
and it took 2 years of hard work to look half way decent in it.  5 babies and age 40, I make no apologies.  :)
Ashton lost his second top tooth and was quite thrilled as you can see!
I'm always amazed at the vegetation that grows everywhere!  This is on the Road to Hana.
Christian diving off a cliff



This is us by a heart shaped rock cut out, although it's hard to tell in this photo.

Robert and little E





Paddle boarding.  I loved it.  This is Madi and Hunter.

Handsome Robert











7 comments:

Alison Woods said...

Ha ha ha! You CRACK ME UP! I with ya sista! GORGEOUS pictures, gorgeous family!

Unknown said...

I completely agree with "bad" weather making me feel SO much happier! I literally would love it to be over cast every single day! I have been waiting for these Hawaii pics! Love them! Hope me and T get to go there someday!!

Jennefer said...

Beautiful photos and looking great! You guys are great parents with great kids! Do you ever wonder where your life went and how you can get it back? I wonder if one feels like it comes back once the kids are all grown and out of the house. Meanwhile our kids are having a life and we are just the managers of it - at least that is how it feels. Survival skills - good TV, friends, dates, social media, apps, exercise, and books. That about sums up my life.

Tiffany said...

Oh Sandra! We must lunch again soon. I told Mike that I have been daydreaming almost daily about becoming "one of those moms" that runs away. Like really runs away and doesn't come back. I too, don't really enjoy summer. I think I will during those last few weeks of school, and then by now I want to cry. Also, I don't know if it is summer or almost 16 years of parenting that's causing it...but I'm becoming so worn down I'm hardly caring. This comment makes me sound depressed--def must be the "seasonal disorder" of summer. Ugh. Let's hang in there together. WE.CAN.DO.THIS.
Right?

Krissy Noel said...

Can we please run away to Hawaii? These pictures are so pretty, my heart is literally aching! It has such a place in my heart. I think I am supposed to live by the water because I am the exact opposite of you and love hot hot heat and humidity. Maybe it's because I am always cold. I know you're feeling worn down, but I admire your strength to keep going as a mom and be so engaged with all your kids and care as much as you do.

DrFlynnDMD said...

The solution for summer anxiety disorder syndrome is letting your husband have the summer off as well. Then he can spend it all playing with the kids instead if losing his mind and soul working. It would totally transform summer for us all.

Annalysha said...

I LOVE you and I have missed reading your blog. My fault, I was just a bit busy.
You look FABULOUS in your bikini and you should be really proud.