Sunday, June 17, 2012

Corey's Story

I would rather be the listener in the conversation any day than the talker.  And that's how it all started with Corey.  I'll admit I had a case of a bad attitude, with a capital "B".  I had to drive up to Snowbasin to be one of 2 volunteers required during the Ragnar race for Robert's and Christian's team and all I could think about were the multitudinous things I would rather be doing.  It was pandemonium up there with traffic, runners, noise, and confusion--all things I abhor and generally seek to avoid with a vengeance.  Per the circumstance, I was having a hot flash with heart palpitations and mild panic.  Eventually, I found my station where the directors were all too frazzled to explain the directions for my post, so they told me to just sit for a few minutes.  I took my seat right next to a boy, looking to me to be about 17 (and I was right) with red curly hair, freckles, and a quick smile.  He looked nice enough, I thought.  Internally thankful that I had an excuse to do nothing for a few minutes amongst the chaos, I settled in to people watching, one of my favorite things.  Then the boy next to me started talking, like we were old friends.  "I work on a farm and I've been up since 5am.  I had to come here to volunteer as a requirement in my STATE CUSTODY agreement."  My beautiful silence was obliterated.  Great.  Now, not only did I have to volunteer among this chaos for 4 and a half hours, I had to spend it with a felon.  I silently eyed my purse on the ground and nudged it closer to me with my foot.  He was one of those talkers where he was so desperate for attention that he continued to spill his whole life story with little to no reservation and very little prodding on my part.  But now I was interested.  I have a penchant for listening to a person who has a story to tell.  And suddenly I felt myself shift, from the bad-mood, rotten attitude me, to the engaged, helpful, and genuine me who wanted to be there for this boy to talk, but also because I was enjoying myself.  As we placed light beacons along a 2 mile mountain trail for the nighttime runners, he schooled me on his life.  An alcoholic and abusive father who gave up custody of him to the state when his mom died at age 10.  In and out of juvenile detention, where instead of learning anything, he was initiated into a gang.  Then he told me about his life within the gang, seeing friends be murdered and being beaten to a pulp by the rival gang.  The gang started at age 11.  All I could think about was my Huntie, who is 11, with his round cheeks, innocence, and dependence on me.  My heart ached upon thinking of Hunter in a state run juvenile jail at his age, fending for himself, being regularly beaten up with no one there to protect him or comfort him.  Corey learned quickly the ins and outs of hiding and transferring drugs within a secured facility in order to insure his status within his gang.  He recalled the cruelness of his life, and the dad that still wanted nothing to do with him.  Now he was in a temporary foster care family where he would spend 6 more months before he turned 18, and then he would be completely on his own.  No mother, no father, no relatives to help support him, and a system that he was only a burden to.  He had very little counseling within the state system, so his coping mechanisms have been almost exclusively limited to a flight or fight response.  I thought about Christian, who is only about a year and a half younger than Corey.  Christian has tremendous love in his life and the whole world is an open book of opportunity, waiting for him to grab.  It all seemed so immensely unfair!  How was he supposed to find love and give love in the world, when he had really never experienced it?  How was he not supposed to search out drugs and alcohol or his gang again during times of heartache and stress when that is all he had ever known?  He seemed optimistic and hopeful for his future, in which he dreamed to become an underwater welder and an MMA fighter.  I couldn't help but wonder if he even had an inkling of a chance to stay out of trouble, or to achieve his goals.  If Corey could have been taken from birth and raised in a good home, how much different would his life have been?  I pondered about how very few people on Earth probably have full accountability for their actions, Corey included.  Was I scared for my safety around him?  Emphatically no.  I sensed that he would protect himself if threatened, but there was a sweetness and innocence still about him that would not allow him to harm someone like myself.  In the end, I felt he had given me a gift.  He, like me, my children, and those around me, is a child of God.  His life story so far is cloudy and troubled, but I was thankful that he chose me to tell it to.  And I will hold that story in my hands with respect, non-judgment, and hope for a better future for him.
      I wish I could say that our time together achieved some sort of resolution for Corey.  But it didn't.  I told him that I was rooting for his future success and believed in him.  I came home and prayed intensely for him.  But what will probably happen is that he will continue to be tossed incessantly by the waves of life.  I hope there are others, like his foster family, that will be willing to give him a chance, or that will give a listening ear.  While I began by priding myself in being that listening ear, I ended by being humbled by his strength, his courage, and his optimism.  Indeed everyone has a story to tell, and something to teach.  Thank you, Corey.

5 comments:

Jennefer said...

This is why it bothers me when people talk about the purpose of trials being for our good. The truth is that people who have less trials almost always do better in life and lead happier and more loving lives. For every 1 person who comes from that type of difficult background and succeeds in life, there are 100,000 failure stories. I would venture to guess that most of the people in the world that society considers "bad" have a story such as this to share. Perhaps their life might have looked normal on the outside, but we don't see the hidden neglect or abuse that went on. There is actually some hope for him if he had a loving mother up until he was 10. The most at-risk people are the ones without love in the early years. At that point it doesn't matter how much love is heaped upon them later on. Love can't fix them anymore. Small trials overcome can bring strength, but most often common large trials can and do destroy lives all the time. Thanks for sharing.

Jennefer said...

Here is a 1 out of 100,000 story. Have you read it?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/us/from-janitor-to-harvard/index.html

and more recently

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/08/harvard-bound-homeless-grad-overwhelmed-by-ovation/

Krissy Noel said...

Wow. This is so powerful. Being a Ragnar volunteer ended up being worthwhile! I love when lessons come from things you normally wouldn't think of. We are all used to being taught in school and church, but I think some of the most valuable life lessons are taught by mere circumstance, being in the right (or wrong) place at the right (or wrong) time! Me and you have talked at length about topics relating to this, even recently when we talked about how I don't really think it's anything I did special in the pre-existence to be "blessed" like I have, or extraordinarily made wise decisions, but sometimes things just happen because they do and we are given things in life and we don't know why or what for and yes, not everything is explainable or to make someone grow stronger from it. Sometimes people really ARE given too much burden to carry. That's why I hate the phrase, "God will never give you anything you can't handle." Well, if that were the case, people wouldn't commit suicide or die of cancer, etc. etc. I had a somewhat smaller experience similar to this, when me and Corinne spent a day walking the worse parts of Salt Lake and eating at the soup kitchen and hearing the stories of what got them to that point. We attempted to blend in better by dressing down, but I think our straight, bleached teeth and bleached blond hair gave us away. It makes you profoundly more grateful for what you are given and much more sympathetic when you actually engage yourself with someone who you typically wouldn't and learn about their trials and realize that maybe it isn't really their fault why they got to that point and like you said, that they can't possibly be held entirely accountable. This was very enlightening, thank you!

DrFlynnDMD said...

You never know when God expects you to be there someone else. How many opportunities have passed us by because we are too busy, too close minded, too selfish, too judgemental, too whatever to make a difference in the life of another. It's been said that God answers prayers but he usually does it through somebody else. We can be that somebody, even if it is just to listen, to be kind, to say thank you or give a smile. We can be the difference that we seek in this world. We can be the difference in the life of another.

Tiffany said...

So beautifully written! Thank you for sharing that. You have a lot to offer MANY.