Monday, February 7, 2011

Personal Sacrifice

We recently had a Relief Society lesson on sacrifice taught by my favorite RS teacher of all time,  Kristen Bell.  Near the end of the lesson, she asked if there were some who would like to share examples of people that had given great sacrifices in their life.  Here are some of the things that people were saying:

*A couple in Africa who walked 18 miles both ways to get a temple recommend even though there was no temple nearby, but were trying to obey the prophet's request that every worth member have a current recommend.

*Mission presidents who gave up everything for several years to go and serve in a foreign country.

*The "brethren" who give up successful jobs to be representatives of the church.

While I thought all of these were exemplary examples of sacrifice, I felt that there was a major point being missed.  For most of us, these examples are out of our realm of what would ever be our reality.  When we compare ourselves to the sacrifices of these people, we may feel that we always come up lacking because these are things we probably will never accomplish.  Secondly, what really draws my attention and admiration to a person is usually a person that most would never notice, but daily endures heavy burdens with grace and dignity.  That is my personal definition of a modern day hero.   I have never really been a pushover for those who sacrifice for lofty callings, simply because their reward is usually somewhat immediate by having great honor and notoriety among LDS members as well as receiving the accompanying blessings which inevitably come with having a large calling.

Here is who has inspired me lately with their sacrifices:

*A couple in my neighborhood who went through hell and back with their 5 rebellious children, in spite of raising them in all the proper LDS ways.  This couple was our ward's nursery leaders for 5 years so they had little support or interaction with other members of our ward.  Not only do they serve in the sometimes thankless job of nursery leaders, but they bring their grandchildren every week to church because the parents won't.  The burden this has been on the mother in particular is obvious every time I look into her eyes.  I can see it and I can feel it.  Recently however, because of their sacrifices, two of her children have started attending our ward with their spouses.  She is a hero.

*Another quietly courageous person that I have been inspired by lately is my son's preschool teacher who has 6 children of her own, yet offers 2 sessions of preschool everyday to help provide for her family.  The other night, I had to get some last minute groceries at the store around 10 pm, and who did I see stocking shelves in her Smith's uniform?  This dear preschool teacher who was working the late shift.  I was profoundly humbled by her sacrifices for her family so that she could be a stay-at-home mom.

*I have a friend who had a recent bout with an extremely aggressive and advanced stage of breast cancer.  I will never forget bringing dinner to her one night after her double mastectomy and her greeting me with her beautiful bald head and glowing smile.  The spirit in her home was palpable.  Every time I see her, she is positive and brave.  She is a hero that has made great sacrifices to give her children a happy, stable home in spite of the heavy burdens she was carrying.

*I also think of my own mother because I have witnessed for years the sacrifices she has given for her children.  She has fought like a lion for us to succeed in life, to make our lives better, and in some cases, to turn our lives around.  There have been decisions of some of her children that have caused her great anguish, but she forges on, never losing hope and persevering in what outwardly may seem like a hopeless situation.  She is a hero.

If you show me a person who is educated, holds leadership callings, has several children, and gives to the poor, I will be mildly impressed.  But show me a person who exhibits perseverance and dignity in the face of great personal trials and that is a person who is a modern day hero to me.  I am so thankful to have many heroes in my life that inspire me by their sacrifices to reach for more.

7 comments:

DrFlynnDMD said...

Your my hero- and I mean that literally! You are so inspiring, so empathetic, so giving, so eternally selfless, you carry the burdens of the world upon your shoulders (as if your own are not enough), and your only wish is that you could have done more. This world is a better place because of you!

Tiffany said...

Yet again you have said something in a way no one else can. Well said. And so true.

Krissy Noel said...

You are also my hero. If I can be a microscopic ounce of the mother, friend, and sister that you are, then I will be happy! Why don't you write a book? You are an artist in both writing and photography, no doubt about that. It's a true gift you have put much time and effort into!

Juliann said...

Okay, absolutely unbelievable. It is the unsung heroes, like the ones you mentioned, that are the most inspiring and honorable to me. I can think of so many from within our own family. Loved this.

Julie said...

Y o u Are my hero. You do so much consistently for others in quiet ways. If I wasn't your mother I might be intimidated by you. I don't know what to say except that I admire and love you motr than you can imagine.

Annalysha said...

I Just Love you Sandra! I love the way you write and the things you say. You are just amazing. I completely agree with you!

Amy Evensen said...

I love this post Sandy and I couldn't agree more. You have such a wonderful talent. :)