Sunday, March 7, 2010

Three



Besides the fact that both my computer and camera have been at the shop being fixed, the thought of writing about my BABY TURNING 3 has been hard for me. I've been sort of lost in time all week, thinking about all of my precious memories of having my 5 babies. The only thing I am left with is the trite phrase, "Where has the time gone?!" I always took it to heart when older women of my ward would say how fast the time goes, and then your children are grown and gone. Because of this, I have always strived to live in the moment and be conscious of each special event and grateful for each one that comes. Well, now my youngest is 3 and in spite of trying to hold onto every moment, the time still feels like it is slipping away from me faster than I want it to. I still really don't have closure on the fact that my older kids are transitioning into pre-teens and my younger children aren't babies anymore, but I do know I have a heart incredibly full of gratitude because I truly feel I have had the joy of 1000 lifetimes with them.
For Ashton's birthday we went to the Kangaroo Zoo as a family. Like a typical 3 year old, Ashton was grumpy with over stimulation, but at this point in my life, even that was endearing. He received many trains and cars which he simply cannot get enough of and was surrounded by his 4 other siblings who think he is the cutest, funniest person in the whole world.
I guess that since he is now officially 3, I need to start potty-training him. You'd think I would have the hang of teaching this the 5th time around, but I don't and none of my kids have been easy to potty train. With my first, I read every book I could get my hands on and used elaborate charts, treats, toys, and encouragement to get him to want to be potty trained. Well, at 4 1/2 and the prospect of not being able to start kindergarten, I finally had to hold him down on the toilet for an hour while he kicked and screamed that I was "killing him." And, he finally went and was potty trained from that day on, with me having done everything on the books "not to do list." So the other day, I found myself offering my two oldest $25 if they could potty train Ashton. I can't believe that I have been changing diapers for almost 14 years!!!


























6 comments:

Krissy Noel said...

These new pictures are adorable! I don't know how it feels, but I can somewhat understand how it would be hard to know that he is 3 and growing up fast. Looks like you had fun yesterday and Jazzy is as cute as ever!

Carolyn Flynn said...

So adorable!

Julie said...

He is precious beyond words and is full of energy and happiness. That one picture ofJazzy really looks like she is smiling!

Tiffany said...

As usual, I love your sentiments. I love your comment, "I feel I have had the joy of 1000 lifetimes with them." That is what it is about. No one will ever believe the expression 'it goes by quickly' until they are there!
As for the potty training-I am right there with you. Why rush? (Well except for when they need to start Kindergarten!)
Great post!

Everyday Sparkles said...

Happy birthday to your little guy! And again stunning beautiful photography.

Wishing you a wonderful day!

Linda said...

Precious Memories and great photos.